Garrett County, Maryland U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
The Garrett County (Maryland
) Old Order Amish
Settlement. Garrett County is in western Maryland bordering Somerset County, Pennsylvania
. The settlement consisting of about 75 communicant members in 1955 was located several miles south of Oakland. The first to locate there came probably sometime before 1850; among them were the families of Pfeil, Gortner, and Miller
, and Yutzy
, Selder, Beachey
, Gnagey, Schrock, and Petersheim from Somerset and Cambria counties, Pennsylvania. The congregation was probably organized in 1855. Through the preaching of John Holdeman
several families left, including two preachers. Daniel Beachey was the first bishop in the congregation. After his death in 1897, bishops from the Somerset churches served the congregation until 1908. Lewis M. Beachey, the bishop in 1955, was ordained at that time. The settlement always considered itself as one church district, even though in the early days of the settlement several families lived about ten miles (16 km) west of Oakland, near Aurora and Eglon, West Virginia
. The congregation worshiped regularly in a meetinghouse built in 1949.
|| Lewis M Beachey
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Beachey, Lewis M. "Garrett County Old Order Amish Settlement (Garrett County, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Garrett_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Garrett_County,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=91851.
Beachey, Lewis M. (1956). Garrett County Old Order Amish Settlement (Garrett County, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Garrett_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Garrett_County,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=91851.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 2, p. 439. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.