Franklin (Iowa, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Franklin Center, Iowa, now known as Franklin, is a village in Lee County, southeastern Iowa, near which the first Mennonite settlers in Iowa lived. The first Mennonite congregation in Iowa (now extinct) was located east of the present village; its church was dedicated in 1850. In 1868 it was replaced by a church built in the village by the Mennonite immigrants from Bavaria and the Palatinate who lived nearby.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Franklin (Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 26 Apr 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Franklin_(Iowa,_USA)&oldid=80947.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Franklin (Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 April 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Franklin_(Iowa,_USA)&oldid=80947.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 377. All rights reserved.


©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.