Franklin (Iowa, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Franklin Center, Iowa, now known as Franklin, is a village in Lee County, southeastern Iowa, near which the first Mennonite settlers in Iowa lived. The first Mennonite congregation in Iowa (now extinct) was located east of the present village; its church was dedicated in 1850. In 1868 it was replaced by a church built in the village by the Mennonite immigrants from Bavaria and the Palatinate who lived nearby.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Franklin (Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Franklin_(Iowa,_USA)&oldid=80947.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Franklin (Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Franklin_(Iowa,_USA)&oldid=80947.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 377. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.