From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Fernheim Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church, located in Colony Fernheim in the Paraguayan Chaco, was organized on 5 October 1930 with 44 members, under the leadership of Nicolaus Wiebe. Its statutes, with slight modifications, were those of the Krimmer Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church of Russia, from where a large number of its members came in 1930-1931. The work of the church was carried on in complete cooperation with the General Conference Mennonite Church and Mennonite Brethren Church groups in the colony. In 1942 an adobe brick church with a seating capacity of 300 was built in the village of Waldesruh; it was remodeled in 1949. The membership of the congregation in 1953 was 171, under the leadership of Abram Harder and his assistant Johann Käthler, both of whom have rendered valuable service as leaders of the Kommission für kirchliche Angelegenheiten, the interchurch organization. In addition nine other ministers and two deacons also served the congregation. In the 1950s worship services were held twice monthly for members only, and on the remaining Sundays with the other groups. Communion and feetwashing were observed on the first Sunday of each month. Youth work and choir work were carried on regularly. The entire church actively supported the Indian Mennonite missions in the Chaco.


Author(s) Bernhard Wall
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Wall, Bernhard. "Fernheim Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church (Fernheim Colony, Boquerón Department, Paraguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fernheim_Evangelical_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Fernheim_Colony,_Boquer%C3%B3n_Department,_Paraguay)&oldid=80776.

APA style

Wall, Bernhard. (1956). Fernheim Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church (Fernheim Colony, Boquerón Department, Paraguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fernheim_Evangelical_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Fernheim_Colony,_Boquer%C3%B3n_Department,_Paraguay)&oldid=80776.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 325. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.