Ephrata, Pennsylvania, is a borough (pop. 7,000 in 1950) in Lancaster County, 12 miles northeast of Lancaster, the site of the famous Ephrata Cloister. At these cloisters was located a Seventh-day Baptist colony, claiming a thousand acres, famous for mills and the printing press, where the German Martyrs' Mirror (1748 imprint) and 42 other books were printed. It developed first through the industry and prominence of the Cloister group, and then later their decline added materially to the growth of the town. It is a business center for a large Mennonite community. The Ephrata Mennonite (Mennonite Church) congregation of 362 (in the mid-1950s) worships in the town. The principal Mennonite Central Committee clothing center is also located here.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Ephrata (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ephrata_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=94528.
Landis, Ira D. (1956). Ephrata (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ephrata_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=94528.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.