The Edmonton Iglesia Evangelica Mennonita formally organized as a Mennonite congregaiton in 1981 after meeting in the Holyrood Mennonite Church for several years. The group partially originated through contact with Chilean refugees by Nancy Hostetler, who was a member of that congregation. The group had been associated with the Evangelical Church previously.
Jorge Vallejos, who had helped organize churches in Chile, provided informal and then formal leadership for the group beginning in the late 1970s. With a short break in the late 1980s, Vallejos served as pastor of the congregation since its affiliation with the Mennonites.
The congregation was first known as Iglesia Evangelica Hispana. In 1987 it chose the name Centro Evangelistico Bet-El. Later the present name came into use.
In 1985 there were 45 members; in 1995, 15; in 2000 21. The congregation has been affiliated with the Northwest Mennonite Conference (1981-), the Mennonite Church (1981-1999) and the Convention of Hispanic Mennonite Churches. The language of worship is Spanish.
Mennonite Reporter (22 February 1982): 11.
Regehr, T. D. Faith, Life and Witness in the Northwest, 1903-2003 : Centennial History of the Northwest Mennonite Conference. Kitchener, Ont. : Pandora Press, 2003: 378-380, 391-393.
 Additional Information
Address: 6110 Fulton Road, Edmonton, Alberta T6L 1H9
Denominational Affiliation: Northwest Mennonite Conference
|Date Published||March 2010|
 Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. "Edmonton Iglesia Evangelica Mennonita (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2010. Web. 31 Jan 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Edmonton_Iglesia_Evangelica_Mennonita_(Edmonton,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=80395.
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. (March 2010). Edmonton Iglesia Evangelica Mennonita (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 31 January 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Edmonton_Iglesia_Evangelica_Mennonita_(Edmonton,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=80395.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.