From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The East Petersburg Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), 6279 Main Street, East Petersburg, Pennsylvania, is a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. From 1831 this congregation had a meetinghouse in East Petersburg on the site of the later Brethren church. It was an old log house that had formerly been a union church-schoolhouse, probably built in pre-Revolution days. The membership at that date was but 12-15, although numerous Mennonite families had settled in this area. But by 1867 the group was sufficiently large to build a brick church 40 x 60 ft. on the present location, and by 1896 the present church became necessary. This has since been enlarged and remodeled in 1933 and 1997. David B. Huber and Benjamin F. Charles were the first Sunday-school superintendents (1893). In 1954 the membership was 450. The deacon in 1953 was Wallace M. Hottenstein and the ministers were Frank N. Kreider, his son Irvin Kreider, and James B. Siegrist. In 2004 the membership was 332.


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1955


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "East Petersburg Mennonite Church (East Petersburg, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 17 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=East_Petersburg_Mennonite_Church_(East_Petersburg,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=87150.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1955). East Petersburg Mennonite Church (East Petersburg, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=East_Petersburg_Mennonite_Church_(East_Petersburg,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=87150.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 122-123. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.