Dalton (Ohio, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Dalton, Ohio, is a village of nearly 1,600 (2007) located on U.S. Highway 30 in the heart of a rich farming and dairy community of Sugar Creek Township., Wayne County. Mennonite pioneers from eastern Pennsylvania, such as the Martins, Eberlys, Horsts and Buckwalters, settled on territory north of Dalton early in the nineteenth century, organizing the Martin's Church (MC USA). Many of their descendants still live there. The rolling territory southwest of Dalton was chosen by Swiss Mennonites who immigrated to this section as early as 1819. This prosperous Swiss community has since been known as Sonnenberg.


Author(s) Stanford Mumaw
Date Published 1955


Cite This Article

MLA style

Mumaw, Stanford. "Dalton (Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 21 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dalton_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113316.

APA style

Mumaw, Stanford. (1955). Dalton (Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dalton_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113316.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 4. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.