Churchtown Mennonite Church (Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church) .25 mile (.5 km) east of Route 74 and Route 174 in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, originated in 1835, when Preacher John Erb gave land for a meetinghouse three miles (five km) east of Carlisle. In 1885 another meetinghouse was built in Churchtown. The membership was low for some years, but in the 1950s as a mission station the work was revived. The Sunday-school attendance in 1954 was 66 (average). Under the leadership of William M. Strong, bishop, Mervin J. Baer, minister, the 1954 membership was 23. In 2009 the membership was 57. The congregation was originally part of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, but joined the Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church when it formed in 1968.
 Additional Information
Address: 1341 Church Street, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Until 1968)
Mennonite Church (MC) (Until 1968)
Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church (1968-present)
 Cite This Article
, . "Churchtown Mennonite Church (Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 26 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Churchtown_Mennonite_Church_(Carlisle,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=117104.
, . (1953). Churchtown Mennonite Church (Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Churchtown_Mennonite_Church_(Carlisle,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=117104.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.