From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Chicago Avenue Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) was located in the northwest section of the city of Harrisonburg, Virginia. The work here, begun by the Young People's Christian Association of the Eastern Mennonite College, was soon taken over by the Virginia Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities. A United Brethren church was rented in 1937 and then purchased in 1939. The church was known as the White Mission for a number of years. The congregation grew rapidly as it drew members and support from both the Middle and Northern districts of the Virginia Mennonite Conference. In 1947 it was organized as a separate congregation under the name of Chicago Avenue Mennonite Church. There were 114 members in 1952. In 1972 the congregation built as new facility at 1552 South High Street and became known as the Harrisonburg Mennonite Church.


Author(s) Harry A Brunk
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Brunk, Harry A. "Chicago Avenue Mennonite Church (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 11 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chicago_Avenue_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisonburg,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=86674.

APA style

Brunk, Harry A. (1953). Chicago Avenue Mennonite Church (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 11 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chicago_Avenue_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisonburg,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=86674.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 555. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.