Charlesville Station (Charlesville was later known as Djoko Punda) was one of two stations to be established by the Congo Inland Mission with the beginning of active work on the field in 1912. It is located nearly 1,000 miles (1600 km) inland from the coast on the Kasai River, a leading tributary of the Congo River, in the territory of the Baluba-Lulua people. The site was chosen partly because of its transport possibilities and until the 1950s it served as the transport center for the four stations then in the field. The mission office and mission press are also located here.
Charlesville was the largest of seven stations, being one of the oldest, and having enjoyed generally more favorable conditions for expansion of its work. The report for 1948 listed the following: missionaries, 10; native pastors and deacons, 7; baptisms during the year, 187; church members, 5,238; professed Christians under instruction for baptism, 648; communities where the Word is given out regularly, 152; rural schools, 142; rural teacher-evangelists, 152; average attendance of all schools, 6,666; native medical helpers, 3; new cases treated, 2,413.
|Author(s)||Raymond L Hartzler|
 Cite This Article
Hartzler, Raymond L. "Charlesville Station (Democratic Republic of the Congo)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 13 Oct 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Charlesville_Station_(Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo)&oldid=120080.
Hartzler, Raymond L. (1953). Charlesville Station (Democratic Republic of the Congo). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 October 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Charlesville_Station_(Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo)&oldid=120080.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.