The Burlington-Missouri Railroad Company, a division of the 1950s Chicago, Burlington and Quincy road, induced a number of the Russian Mennonite immigrants of 1874, through their railroad representative, A. E. Touzalin, to locate on the railroad lands near Beatrice, Nebraska. The leader among the Russian immigrants was Cornelius Jansen, after whose son the town of Jansen later was named. The railroad company vied with the Santa Fe in Kansas, in offering the Mennonites cheap railroad lands, reduced freight rates, immigrant houses, gifts, and passes. Nebraska received only a minor portion of the immigrant settlers, however.
Overton, Richard. Burlington West, A Colonization History of the Burlington Railroad. Cambridge, 1941.
Smith, C. Henry. The Coming of the Russian Mennonites. Berne, IN, 1927: 66, 120 f., 171-175.
|Author(s)||C. Henry Smith|
 Cite This Article
Smith, C. Henry. "Burlington Railroad." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 30 Apr 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Burlington_Railroad&oldid=100260.
Smith, C. Henry. (1953). Burlington Railroad. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 April 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Burlington_Railroad&oldid=100260.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.