Bowmansville Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) in Brecknock Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, near Bowmansville, belongs to the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. The first Mennonite settlers were Jacob and Christian Good in 1738. The first preacher was Christian Bauman (1724-1790). The congregation was organized probably in 1752, first worshiping in the home of Christian Good. The first meetinghouse was built in 1794 in the village of Bowmansville, and the second in 1875 a mile (1.5 km) south of Bowmansville. In 1921 the third was built on the same spot. In 1851 in this congregation a division occurred over the free school system which left it in a weakened condition. In 1852 Bishop Jacob Mosemann (1795-1876) came from Trappstadt, Bavaria, Germany, to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and served in this congregation. His sermons were short, earnest, and convincing. The congregation took on new life near the close of his life. He ordained Benjamin Horning (1827-1903) as his successor in the ministry. Horning was one of the most eloquent pulpit orators of his day, the congregation growing in membership during his ministry. The 1953 membership was 427. 2009 membership was 285.
 Additional Information
Address: 129 Pleasant Valley Road, East Earl, Pennsylvania 17519
Website: Bowmansville Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||Aaron M Weber|
 Cite This Article
Weber, Aaron M. "Bowmansville Mennonite Church (East Earl, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 26 Jan 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bowmansville_Mennonite_Church_(East_Earl,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=121603.
Weber, Aaron M. (1953). Bowmansville Mennonite Church (East Earl, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 January 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bowmansville_Mennonite_Church_(East_Earl,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=121603.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.