From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
File:Doopsgezinde kerk Borne.jpg
Doopsgezinde Kerk Borne.
Photo by Tubantia.
Source: Wikimedia Commons
.

Borne is a town in the Dutch province of Overijssel (1950 pop. ca. 12,000; 2005 pop, ca. 20,000), the seat of a thriving textile industry and after about 1560, of a Mennonite congregation, the first members of which were said to have been weavers, refugees from Flanders; but judging by their names, they were more likely from Westphalia. They probably owed their safety to the magistrate of Twenthe, Count Bentinck, to whom they gave an annual gift of a piece of linen in gratitude for their protection. In the archives of the congregation there were some letters from 1749 and 1769, in which the Mennonites of Borne and Hengelo offered such a gift to the magistrate. Borne, Hengelo, and Goor together formed a single congregation belonging to the Groninger Old Flemish. Well toward the close of the 18th century they were still observing feetwashing with communion services, as was long the practice of the Groninger Old Flemish in the Netherlands.

In 1727 Borne separated peaceably from Hengelo and Goor. In the first half of the 18th century the well-known elder Hendrik Berents Hulshoff lived near Borne. Other noted preachers were Wolter ten Cate, 1736-1796, and Jan Pol, 1766-1807. After Pol's death the congregation called as its first trained minister Laurens van Cleeff (1809). Originally the congregation held its meetings on the Oude Paschen, a farm near Zenderen, later in the church in the village. In 1824 the church used in the 1950s was built; a small organ was added in 1866, which was replaced by a larger one in 1871.

The congregation has always been very small; in 1733 it still had 94 members; in 1767 this number had decreased to 71; in 1834 it was only 30; in 1898, 57; in 1950, 80. The congregation belonged to Ring Twente; it had a Sunday school for the children, a women's circle, and a Bible circle.

During the first half of the 20th century the congregation was served by the following ministers: G. E. Frerichs, 1890-1903; J. B. du Buy, 1903-1912; F. J. de Holl, 1913-1926; C. Nijdam, 1926-1930; B. van der Goot, 1930-1939; Miss H. C. Leignes Bakhoven, 1940-1947; and J. Wieringa, 1947-1952.

[edit] Bibliography

Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Groningen, Overijssel en Oost-Friesland, 2 vols. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff en J. B. Wolters, 1842: passim.

Heeringa, G. Uit het verleden der Doopsgezinden in Twenthe. Borne (O.) : J. Over & Zoon, 193-?: 70-78, 126-134.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. I, 247.

Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam, 2 vols. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: v. II, Nos. 1594-1597.

[edit] Maps

Map:Borne (Overijssel)


Author(s) F. J. de Holl
Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Holl, F. J. de and Nanne van der Zijpp. "Borne (Overijssel, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Borne_(Overijssel,_Netherlands)&oldid=124866.

APA style

Holl, F. J. de and Nanne van der Zijpp. (1953). Borne (Overijssel, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Borne_(Overijssel,_Netherlands)&oldid=124866.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 391. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.