From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Board of Education and Publication (General Conference Mennonite), formed by combining the former Board of Education and Board of Publication, was created when the new constitution of the General Conference Mennonite Church was adopted at its 32nd session at Freeman, South Dakota, in August 1950.

This board was charged with all of the responsibilities of the conference in the areas of education and publication and consisted of 12 members, four of which were elected at each regular session of the conference. The board organized its work under the following divisions: Committee on Education in Church, Home, and Community (children's work, young people's work, leadership training, retreats, etc.); Committee on Educational Institutions (schools, student aid, etc.); Mennonite Biblical Seminary; Editorial Committee (which was responsible for all editorial work and visual aids); Publishing Committee (see Board of Publication); and Historical Committee.

For a comprehensive treatment of activities of this board in the past, see the following articles: Board of Education and Board of Publication. The Board of Education and Publication had a full-time secretary with an office in the General Conference Headquarters, 722 Main St., Newton, Kansas. A subsequent constitutional change in 1968 saw some of the work of this board carried by a new Commission on Education.


Author(s) Cornelius Krahn
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Krahn, Cornelius. "Board of Education and Publication (General Conference Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 29 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Board_of_Education_and_Publication_(General_Conference_Mennonite_Church)&oldid=104212.

APA style

Krahn, Cornelius. (1953). Board of Education and Publication (General Conference Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Board_of_Education_and_Publication_(General_Conference_Mennonite_Church)&oldid=104212.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 374. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.