The Blue Creek Colony is located in northern Belize. It was founded in 1958 by 80 Old Colony Mennonite families from Mexico. Though there was much illness and infant mortality, the population rapidly increased to 200 families. Disunity, however, soon led to the founding of an Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference congregation as well as to the departure of an increasing number of families to Bolivia, Mexico, and Canada during the 1960s. Eventually the leaders of the Old Colony church also left, forcing members to decide whether they would leave with them or join other groups. In 1978 several families of the Kleine Gemeinde congregation in the Spanish Lookout Colony moved to Blue Creek, especially to be of help in the school and congregation. At that time 120 families were still living there; in 1987 only 80 families remained.
Economic circumstances remained difficult. Initially, the sale of lumber was the primary source of income, but corn, beans, peanuts, and vegetables soon helped the economy. Finding markets also remained difficult. Some turned to cattle-raising, others to raising broiler hens or doing custom work in clearing land and building roads. The Blue Creek credit union has been of considerable help in these economic ventures.
|Author(s)||Peter F Kornelsen|
 Cite This Article
Kornelsen, Peter F. "Blue Creek Colony (Belize)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 26 Aug 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blue_Creek_Colony_(Belize)&oldid=75752.
Kornelsen, Peter F. (1987). Blue Creek Colony (Belize). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 August 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blue_Creek_Colony_(Belize)&oldid=75752.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.