Blair County, Pennsylvania, US Census TIGER/Line map
Blair County in west-central Pennsylvania
was first settled by Mennonites between 1790 and 1810 in Morrison's Cove, a valley at the southern extreme of Blair County extending into Bedford County. The first meetinghouse was near Martinsburg
; one was later built at Roaring Spring
for members in that vicinity. Of the 235 Mennonites in the county in 1950, 85 who allied themselves with the General Conference Mennonite Church
met at Roaring Spring and Smith Corner. A congregation of 80 members at Martinsburg and another of 70 at Altoona
, originally a mission endeavor of the Martinsburg congregation, belong to the Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference
|| Byron W Bender
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Bender, Byron W. "Blair County (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 26 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blair_County_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=133050.
Bender, Byron W. (1953). Blair County (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blair_County_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=133050.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 1, p. 351. All rights reserved.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.