From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

In 1919 Mr. and Mrs. Jacob B. Hooge of Winkler, Manitoba, started the Bethesda Home on their own account for the crippled, blind, aged, and others who sought shelter therein. It was non-denominational, but most of the residents, 21 at its peak, came from the various Mennonite church groups in the southern part of Manitoba, such as Bergthaler, Sommerfelder, Rudnerweider, Old Colony, and Mennonite Brethren. The maintenance of most of the inmates was financed by the various church groups named. The Bethesda Home ceased to exist in 1945, and after that time the building served as a dormitory and boardinghouse for male students at the Peniel Bible School, Winkler.


Author(s) H. H Hamm
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Hamm, H. H. "Bethesda Home (Winkler, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 18 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_Home_(Winkler,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=75575.

APA style

Hamm, H. H. (1953). Bethesda Home (Winkler, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_Home_(Winkler,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=75575.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 315. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.