The Mennonite Bethesda Hospital Society was established 20 June 1899 by Dr. Peter Richert and several groups of Mennonites who were concerned about providing health care to the area and a home for the aged. The institution served both as a hospital and home for aged until 1928, when a new hospital was built. The control of the institution was vested in a board of directors consisting of nine members. Its purpose was primarily to serve aged members of the Mennonite church in the immediate community. The Bethesda Home for Aged, Goessel, Kansas, was equipped in 1950 to take care of 26 guests.
Prior to the closing of the hospital in 1983 it was known as Bethesda Hospital and Home. In 2006 Bethesda Home provided 57 nursing beds, 10 assisted living units and 29 independent living units.
Bethesda Home. "Bethesda Home of Goessel, Kansas." November 2006. http://www.bethesdahome.org/aboutus.php/ (accessed 15 August 2009)
Schmucker, Kristine Flaming. A Heritage of Care: a History of the Mennonite Bethesda Society. Goessel, Kan.: Bethesda Home, 1999.
 Additional Information
Address: 408 – 412 East Main, Goessel, Kansas 67053
Website: Bethesda Home
|Author(s)||H. J Andres|
|Date Published||August 2009|
 Cite This Article
Andres, H. J and Sam Steiner. "Bethesda Home (Goessel, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2009. Web. 9 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_Home_(Goessel,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=75574.
Andres, H. J and Sam Steiner. (August 2009). Bethesda Home (Goessel, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 9 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_Home_(Goessel,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=75574.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.