Bethel Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located at Ashley, Gratiot County, Michigan, Michigan, 10 miles (16 km) north of St. Johns, is a member of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. The congregation was organized on 6 July 1920, with 24 charter members, in the Daggett schoolhouse three miles (five km) east of the present location, with George H. Summer serving as first pastor until his death in 1937. It was the a result of colonization by Mennonite families mostly from Illinois and Iowa. The first family moved here in 1918 and more followed in 1919.
Kore Zook was minister after 1937, and D. S. Oyer bishop 1942-1954. In 1922 a new frame church was built. The 1953 membership was 137 (46 in 2007). In the 1950s and 1960s students from Michigan State University in East Lansing made this their church home.
 Additional Information
Address: 9785 S Bagley Road, Ashley, Michigan
Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference
|Author(s)||Daniel S Oyer|
 Cite This Article
Oyer, Daniel S. "Bethel Mennonite Church (Ashley, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 28 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Ashley,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113730.
Oyer, Daniel S. (1953). Bethel Mennonite Church (Ashley, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Ashley,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113730.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.