The Berea Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), at Alma, Ontario was a Mennonite mission Sunday school organized on 13 July 1941 in a rural public schoolhouse situated at a place formerly known as Parker, about 3 miles (5 km) west of Alma, and about 13 miles (22 km) north of Floradale, Wellington County. It was originally called Parker Mission. Sunday school and preaching services were held each Sunday afternoon, with Reuben Dettweiler of the Floradale congregation in charge. In January 1942 Gordon Schrag began serving as minister, and from then on services were held in the forenoon. On 27 July 1947 it was organized into a congregation of the Mennonite Conference of Ontario and was named the Berea congregation. At this time John Garber began serving as minister (ordained bishop in 1951) and Clarence Huber as deacon. In January 1953 the baptized membership was 54, and services were still being held at the schoolhouse.
Gospel Herald (7 January 1947): 880; (3 January 1950): 19; (27 September 1955): 921.
Mennonite Reporter (19 March 1990): 17; (9 December 1991): 15.
Shantz, Mervin, Mrs. "Congregational History of Berea Mennonite Church." Mimeographed paper, 1955, MAO.
Weber, Linda. "A Brief History of Bethel, Berea, Moorefield, Glen Allan and Listowel." Photocopy, 1971, 37 pp. MAO.
Unpublished congregational history of Berea Mennonite, 1982, 3 pp.
 Archival Records
Congregational records at the Mennonite Archives of Ontario
|Date Published||October 1996|
 Cite This Article
Dettweiler, Reuben and Sam Steiner. "Berea Mennonite Church (Moorefield, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 1996. Web. 26 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Berea_Mennonite_Church_(Moorefield,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=132072.
Dettweiler, Reuben and Sam Steiner. (October 1996). Berea Mennonite Church (Moorefield, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Berea_Mennonite_Church_(Moorefield,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=132072.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.