The Altona Sommerfield Mennonite congregation began services in 1918. The first building was occupied in 1918. A basement was added in 1951, with further changes in 1959 and the northend addition in 1970. The building was sold in 1984 and a new building with 510-seat capacity was built. Abraham Doerksen is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through division from the Bergthaler Mennonites.
Sunday School was started in 1951. An organ was installed in 1988. In 1983 the worship services were half in German language and half in English.
Bishop John A. Friesen served in 1986 as a non-salaried congregational leader. In 1985 there were 3981 members; in 1990, 4065. This membership was the total for the fourteen congregations of the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church of Manitoba, with which the Altona congregation has been affiliated. The approximate membership in the Altona area in 1993 was 400.
Canadian Mennonite (Nov. 20, 1959): 12.
Peters, Jake. "An Annotated Bibliography of Materials Relating to the Sommerfelder Mennonite Church." Research paper, CMBC, 1979.
Reimer, Margaret Loewen. One Quilt, Many Pieces. Waterloo, 1990: 32, 34.
Sommerfeld Mennonite Church Centennial Celebrations, July 4, 1993, Morris, Manitoba, 1893-1993. 1993: 12.
|Date Published||September 1986|
 Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Altona Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Altona, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 1986. Web. 23 May 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altona_Sommerfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Altona,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=142420.
Epp, Marlene. (September 1986). Altona Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Altona, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altona_Sommerfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Altona,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=142420.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.