The first Mennonites to arrive in the community were Christian and Peter Baumgartner, who settled in 1838 near Vera Cruz, Wells County, just across the Adams county line; this was the earliest Mennonite settlement in Indiana. The next year their father, David Baumgartner, a minister, arrived and started a church. These settlers and the ones who followed were from the Jura in the canton of Bern, Switzerland. During the 1850s large groups from the Jura came directly to this settlement and purchased land around the present town of Berne. Amish from the Jura and Alsace began to settle here in 1853. The Amish group was divided in 1866, when Henry Egly, a bishop in the church, organized the first Defenseless Mennonite congregation, later known as Evangelical Mennonite Church (in 2003 the group became the Fellowship of Evangelical Churches). This group was further divided by the formation of the Missionary Church Association in 1898.
The Christlicher Bundesbote and The Mennonite, official publications of the General Conference Mennonite Church, were printed at Berne until 1936. The Mennonite Book Concern, a publishing company, was also at Berne.
Sprunger, Eva F. The First Hundred Years, A History of the Mennonite Church in Adams County, Indiana, 1838-1938. Berne, IN, 1938.
|Author(s)||Delbert L Gratz|
 Cite This Article
Gratz, Delbert L. "Adams County (Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 5 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Adams_County_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=90721.
Gratz, Delbert L. (1955). Adams County (Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Adams_County_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=90721.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.