Difference between revisions of "Woodlawn Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
__TOC__
 
[[File:Harding.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Vincent and Rosemarie Harding.<br />  
 
[[File:Harding.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Vincent and Rosemarie Harding.<br />  
 
Source: Mennonite Historical Bulletin'']]     
 
Source: Mennonite Historical Bulletin'']]     
  
Woodlawn Mennonite Church ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite]]), Chicago, Illinois, located at 1143 East 46th Street, was organized as a congregation in 1951. It grew out of a Sunday school which had been operated several years before that by the staff and students of the [[Mennonite Biblical Seminary (Chicago, Illinois, USA) |Mennonite Biblical Seminary]]. J. N. Smucker came as the first pas­tor in 1952. It is a member of the [[Central District Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Central District Conference]]. It is an interracial church in an area of growing African American population. In 1959 it had 51 mem­bers, with [[Franz, Delton Willis (1932-2006)|Delton W. Franz]] (served 1955-1968) and Vincent G. Harding (served 1958-1961) serving as co-pastors.
+
Woodlawn Mennonite Church ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite]]), Chicago, Illinois, located at 1143 East 46th Street, was organized as a congregation in 1951. It grew out of a Sunday school which had been operated several years before that by the staff and students of the [[Mennonite Biblical Seminary (Chicago, Illinois, USA) |Mennonite Biblical Seminary]]. J. N. Smucker came as the first pas­tor in 1952. It is a member of the [[Central District Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Central District Conference]]. It is an interracial church in an area of growing African American population. In 1959 it had 51 mem­bers, with [[Franz, Delton Willis (1932-2006)|Delton W. Franz]] (served 1955-1968) and [[Harding, Vincent Gordon (1931-2014)|Vincent G. Harding]] (served 1958-1961) serving as co-pastors.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 977|date=1959|a1_last=Gingerich|a1_first=Melvin|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 977|date=1959|a1_last=Gingerich|a1_first=Melvin|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 +
[[Category:Churches]]
 +
[[Category:General Conference Mennonite Church Congregations]]

Revision as of 16:40, 7 August 2018

Vincent and Rosemarie Harding.
Source: Mennonite Historical Bulletin

Woodlawn Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), Chicago, Illinois, located at 1143 East 46th Street, was organized as a congregation in 1951. It grew out of a Sunday school which had been operated several years before that by the staff and students of the Mennonite Biblical Seminary. J. N. Smucker came as the first pas­tor in 1952. It is a member of the Central District Conference. It is an interracial church in an area of growing African American population. In 1959 it had 51 mem­bers, with Delton W. Franz (served 1955-1968) and Vincent G. Harding (served 1958-1961) serving as co-pastors.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Woodlawn Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Aug 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Woodlawn_Mennonite_Church_(Chicago,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=161336.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Woodlawn Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 August 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Woodlawn_Mennonite_Church_(Chicago,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=161336.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 977. All rights reserved.


©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.