Whitemouth Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Whitemouth, Manitoba, Canada)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Whitemouth Church of God in Christ, Mennonite congregation near Whitemouth, Manitoba, Canada had its origins when in 1945 four families from the Greenland congregation bought farms in the Whitemouth and Elma areas of Manitoba. One attraction was the lower cost of farms.

C. E. Giesbrecht provided some leadership until Martin P. Parkman was ordained as a minister on 7 June 1948. Services were held in homes initially, and later in vacant houses, stores, and even a sheep barn until a small church was built in 1951 on the present location. A larger facility was completed in 1960, followed by a substantial addition in 1972/73.

The Riverside School began in 1976 in a building constructed near the church. Roy Toews, Linda Friesen, and Frances Giesbrecht were the first teachers.

When the Riverside School was filled to capacity, the congregation was led to begin the Twin Rivers congregation nearby. They became two separate congregations in 1999.

Most families in 2000 were farming, but the congregation also included nurses, carpenters, electricians, truck drivers, and mechanics.

In 2020 the congregation was part of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. The ministers were Kendall Friesen, Ed Friesen, and Franklin Penner.

Bibliography

Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Yearbook (2020): 56-57.

Histories of the congregations. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kansas: Gospel Publishers, 1999: 121-124.

Additional Information

Address: 60231 PR 406, Whitemouth, Manitoba R0E 2G0

Phone: 204-348-2555

Website:

Denominational Affiliations:

Church of God in Christ, Mennonite

Ordained Pastors at the Whitemouth Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church

Name Years
of Service
Martin P. Barkman (1919-2008) 1948-1979
Denver Wiebe 1963-1979
Cornelius L. Friesen (1921-1980) 1968-1980
Orville Friesen 1969-1979
Ed Friesen 1983-present
Franklin Penner 1996-present
Dennis Penner 1996-1999
Kendall Friesen 2006-present

Membership at Whitemouth Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church

Year Membership
1960 68
1975 159
1985 180
2000 135
2010 143
2020 155

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By Melvin Gingerich. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 940. All rights reserved.

Whitemouth Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church is located three miles northwest of Elma, Manitoba. In 1959 it had 45 members, with M. P. Barkman as minister. The congregation was first listed in the Yearbook (CGC) for 1950.


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published August 2020


Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Whitemouth Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Whitemouth, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2020. Web. 19 Sep 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Whitemouth_Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite_(Whitemouth,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=169103.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (August 2020). Whitemouth Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Whitemouth, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 September 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Whitemouth_Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite_(Whitemouth,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=169103.




©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.