Westview Community Church (Grassy Lake, Alberta, Canada)
The Grassy Lake Mennonite Brethren Church (later known as Westview Community Church) at Grassy Lake, Alberta, formally organized in 1927. Peter Neufeld and David Penner are considered the founding leaders of the group.
Mennonite families began moving into the Grassy Lake area in 1926. The congregation began with 7 charter members in 1927. During these early years the families met for worship in their homes. Then a few years later rented facilities were used. They received church leadership assistance from the Coaldale congregation. In the 1936 there were 19 members and they built their own meeting house, first the basement, and then in 1949 the upper sanctuary. In 1961 the membership stood at 46. In 1970 an educational wing was added. In 1982, with a membership of 33, they completed a new meeting house in the town site and they changed their name to the Westview Community Church.
The congregation held its last service on 26 October 2008.
Mennonite Brethren Herald (27 May 1988): 5; (June 2009): 32.
Toews, John A. A History the Mennonite Brethren Church: Pilgrims and Pioneers. Fresno, CA: 1975: 166.
Address: Box 699, Grassy Lake, AB, T0K 0Z0.
General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1928-2002).
Westview Community Church Leading Ministers
Westview Community Church Membership
|Date Published||August 2009|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Westview Community Church (Grassy Lake, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2009. Web. 30 Mar 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Westview_Community_Church_(Grassy_Lake,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=142866.
Epp, Marlene. (August 2009). Westview Community Church (Grassy Lake, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 March 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Westview_Community_Church_(Grassy_Lake,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=142866.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.