Tschetter Hutterite Colony (Olivet, South Dakota, USA)
Tschetter Hutterite Bruderhof, of the Schmiedeleut branch, located near Olivet, Hutchinson County, South Dakota, was founded in 1890 by members of the Wolf Creek colony. In 1918 they sold the property and founded the Rosebud Bruderhof near Redland, Alberta. In 1941 the original (South Dakota) site was bought and rebuilt by Brethren from the Barickman commune near Headingly, Manitoba; fourteen families and David Decker, who was chosen to the ministry in 1931 and confirmed on 27 December 1936, formed the new Tschetter Bruderhof. Jacob Wipf was chosen preacher in 1948; he was the leader of a group of ten families from the Tschetter Bruderhof who established the Gracevale Bruderhof in Winfred, South Dakota, in 1950, where he was ordained. Paul Decker was chosen as preacher at Tschetter in 1952 and ordained in 1957. In 1958 the Tschetter Bruderhof had 40 baptized members in a population of 142. Gracevale had 30 baptized members.
In 2012 Tschetter Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony. The minister was Michael Decker and the manager was Aaron Hofer.
Location: Olivet, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.371111, -97.688056 [43˚ 22′ 16″ N, 97˚ 41′ 17″ W])
Address: 27709 Tschetter Ave., Olivet, SD 57052-5902
|Date Published||February 2013|
Cite This Article
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Tschetter Hutterite Colony (Olivet, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 28 Nov 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tschetter_Hutterite_Colony_(Olivet,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=147779.
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (February 2013). Tschetter Hutterite Colony (Olivet, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 November 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tschetter_Hutterite_Colony_(Olivet,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=147779.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 753. All rights reserved.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.