Topeka Mennonite Church (Topeka, Indiana, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Topeka Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite [GCM]), located in Topeka, Lagrange County, Indiana, a member of the Central District, began in 1893 when Silver Street members and others living near Topeka began to worship together. They purchased the Eden Chapel in 1897, moved it west of Topeka, and used it until the present building was completed in 1927. John Mehl was the first pastor. He was succeeded by John C. Lehman, Ernest Hostetler, Earl Salzman, Wilmer S. Shelly, Esko Loewen, and Orlin F. Frey. The charter membership in 1898 was 21; 90 were added in 1930 when a part of the Maple Grove (Mennonite Church, later unaffiliated) congregation merged with this church. The membership in 1959 was 208, with Roy W. Henry as pastor.

In 2013 Topeka Mennonite withdrew from Mennonite Church USA and became an independent Mennonite congregation. In December 2018, the congregation closed.


Author(s) Orlin F. Frey
Steven Nolt
Date Published May 2020


Cite This Article

MLA style

Frey, Orlin F. and Steven Nolt. "Topeka Mennonite Church (Topeka, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. May 2020. Web. 18 Sep 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Topeka_Mennonite_Church_(Topeka,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=168114.

APA style

Frey, Orlin F. and Steven Nolt. (May 2020). Topeka Mennonite Church (Topeka, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 September 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Topeka_Mennonite_Church_(Topeka,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=168114.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 738. All rights reserved.


©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.