Tofield (Alberta, Canada)
Tofield, Alberta, is a town (1959 population, 800; 2001 population, 1,818) located near the center of the province, 35 miles east and 12 miles south of Edmonton. Approximately 530 Mennonites lived within shopping distance of the town in the late 1950s. They were made up of three groups, including 363 Mennonite Church (MC), 185 General Conference Mennonite (GCM), and 85 Mennonite Brethren (MB). The MC Mennonites lived in an arc from east around south to southwest, the GCM and MB groups in a 3/4 circle from east around south to north. About 4 per cent of the MC, 12 per cent of the GCM, and 1 per cent of the MB lived in Tofield. The MC group was first to arrive here, coming in 1910; the other two groups came in 1924. In the late 1950s there were three Mennonite churches in the area. The only other institutions were mission Sunday schools and winter Bible schools. The larger part of the original Mennonite settlers came here from Nebraska and Iowa. The General Conference and Mennonite Brethren came from Russia.
|Author(s)||Milo D Stutzman|
Cite This Article
Stutzman, Milo D. "Tofield (Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 Nov 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tofield_(Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=170462.
Stutzman, Milo D. (1959). Tofield (Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 November 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tofield_(Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=170462.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 736. All rights reserved.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.