Tiskilwa Bible Church (Tiskilwa, Illinois, USA)
In 1910 some local Mennonite families requested that a worship service be held in Tiskilwa, Illinois, USA. Most of these families had withdrawn from the Willow Springs Mennonite Church, an Amish Mennonite background congregation. Peter Schantz arranged for new meetings led by Lee Lantz and J. H. King. They held those meetings in the Methodist church in 1910 and 1911. There were also meetings in the town hall.
On 23 November 1911, a congregation formed that became part of the Central Conference Mennonite Church. Eugene Augsburger became the first pastor in May 1912. In 1913 the congregation launched a Ladies' Aid Society and a Christian Endeavor Society.
The Tiskilwa congregation built a church that was dedicated on 15 May 1913.
In about 1988, the congregation changed its name to Tiskilwa Bible Church.
In May 1990, the congregation withdrew from the Central District Conference and from the General Conference Mennonite Church. It affiliated with the Illinois Bible Church Mission, though its continuing status in 2022 was unclear. A church by that name still exists in Tiskilwa.
Rich, Elaine Sommers, ed. Walking Together in Faith: The Central District Conference, 1957-1990. Bluffton, Ohio: The Conference, 2003: 108-109.
Weaver, William B. History of the Central Conference Mennonite Church. Danvers, Ill: The author, 1926: 115-116. Available in full electronic text at https://archive.org/details/historyofcentral00weav/
Address: 235 West Main Street, Tiskilwa, Illinois 61368
Pastoral Leaders at Tiskilwa Mennonite Church
|Eugene Augsburger (1874-1944)||1912-1920|
|Ernest J. Bohn (1894-1992)||1925-1931|
|Harvey E. Nunemaker (1893-1972)||1931-1941|
|Henry A. Toews (1900-1954)||1941-1943|
|Landolene R. "L. R." Amstutz (1917-1983)||1943-1945|
|Emil A. "E. A." Sommer||1948-1952|
|Benjamin F. "Ben" Esch (1887-1971)||1952-1966|
|Jay M. Shelly||1968-1969|
|Albin E. "A. E." Appelquist (1894-1982)||1970-1973|
|Joseph E. "Joe" Atherton (1921-2002)||1974-1982|
|Galen B. Penner||1983-1985|
Membership at Tiskilwa Mennonite Church
Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article
By Ben Esch. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 728. All rights reserved.
Tiskilwa Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located in a historic village in the beautiful valley of Bureau County, Illinois, was organized in 1911 to serve a small Mennonite group who had withdrawn from the Willow Springs Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church. The town hall was used until early in 1913, when the present adequate building was erected.
The following have served as resident pastors: Eugene Augspurger 1912-1920, Ernest Bohn 1925-1932, H. E. Nunemaker 1932-1941, Henry Toews 1941-1943, L. R. Amstutz 1943-1947, Emil Sommer 1949-1952, and Ben Esch 1952- . The membership in 1957 was 62.
|Author(s)||Samuel J Steiner|
|Date Published||November 2022|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Samuel J. "Tiskilwa Bible Church (Tiskilwa, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2022. Web. 5 Feb 2023. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tiskilwa_Bible_Church_(Tiskilwa,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=174296.
Steiner, Samuel J. (November 2022). Tiskilwa Bible Church (Tiskilwa, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 February 2023, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tiskilwa_Bible_Church_(Tiskilwa,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=174296.
©1996-2023 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.