Sumner County Old Order Amish Settlement (Kansas, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Sumner County (Kansas) Old Order Amish settlement dates back to 1916. A congregation of 21 members was located in the west-central part of the county, near Conway Springs and Argonia. The first settlers came from Indiana and included the families of John H. Troyer (minister), Enos Miller (deacon), Amos Miller, and Ben Miller. The congregation met for worship for the first time on 30 January 1916. The first resident bishop was Yost Lehman; he was succeeded by John H. Troyer and Dave D. Nissley. Leander S. Keim of Haven, Kansas, was the bishop in charge in 1955.


Author(s) Reuben Troyer
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Troyer, Reuben. "Sumner County Old Order Amish Settlement (Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sumner_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=149184.

APA style

Troyer, Reuben. (1959). Sumner County Old Order Amish Settlement (Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sumner_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=149184.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 656. All rights reserved.


©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.