Strasburg Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)
Strasburg Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located 9 miles southeast of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, was from the start a strong Mennonite community. This was the home of Bishop Benedict Brackbill (1665-1720), leader both in Europe and here, his son Ulrich Brackbill (1703-39), also a minister, John Herr (III) (1708-83), and Preacher John Herr (1720-97), who in 1740 built a 2 1/2 -story stone house on the Brackbill farm as a dwelling, which was also provided with room for worship services and was used until 1804. (It is now owned by Charles E. Good.) That year John Brackbill, Sr., gave John Brackbill, Jr., John Funk, Henry Breneman, and Jacob Groff the present site of ground on the western edge of the borough, "being willing and desirous to promote the spiritual growth and religious fellowship of the people called Menonists in this neighborhood." This beautiful stone church, 40 x 60 ft, of colonial architecture, was the largest Mennonite meetinghouse of its day. It was enlarged in 1877 and 1887, and razed in 1925 for a new brick church 57 x 103 ft.
In 1957 Emory H. Herr was the pastor, with a membership of 348. It formerly was a part of the Brick-Strasburg circuit.
Address: 1514 Village Road, Strasburg PA
Phone: (717) 687-8471
Denominational Affiliations: Lancaster Mennonite Conference
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Strasburg Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 Nov 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Strasburg_Mennonite_Church_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=121600.
Landis, Ira D. (1959). Strasburg Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 November 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Strasburg_Mennonite_Church_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=121600.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 644-645. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.