Difference between revisions of "Stauffer Mennonite Church (Conewago Township, Pennsylvania, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
(3 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 2: Line 2:
 
Stauffer [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church ]](MC), a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Conference]], is located near Bachmanville in Conewago Township, [[Dauphin County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Dauphin County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]]. Michael Shenk, Benjamin Longenecker, John Risser, and the Lehmans were in this area in the latter half of the 18th century. The first meetinghouse was built about 1780. This was a part of the Risser congregation in [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], sharing its ministry. Before the meetinghouse was built Peter Risser preached for them in private dwellings. It early became a part of the present Noah W. Risser- Clarence E. Lutz Bishop District, with John Mumma as the first resident bishop. The present church was built on the same site in 1918. A well-kept cemetery adjoins the churchyard. The membership in 1957 was 163, with J. Frank Zeager as pastor. An outpost at Sand Beach has developed into a permanent Sunday school and mission at East Hanover.
 
Stauffer [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church ]](MC), a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Conference]], is located near Bachmanville in Conewago Township, [[Dauphin County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Dauphin County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]]. Michael Shenk, Benjamin Longenecker, John Risser, and the Lehmans were in this area in the latter half of the 18th century. The first meetinghouse was built about 1780. This was a part of the Risser congregation in [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], sharing its ministry. Before the meetinghouse was built Peter Risser preached for them in private dwellings. It early became a part of the present Noah W. Risser- Clarence E. Lutz Bishop District, with John Mumma as the first resident bishop. The present church was built on the same site in 1918. A well-kept cemetery adjoins the churchyard. The membership in 1957 was 163, with J. Frank Zeager as pastor. An outpost at Sand Beach has developed into a permanent Sunday school and mission at East Hanover.
  
In 2014 the Stauffer Mennonite congregation was meeting in private homes, and had a membership of 21. In 2017 it was no longer listed as a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, and may have closed.
+
On 11 January 2013 the church building and cemetery were sold to an [[Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church]] (EPMC) congregation known as the Bachmanville Mennonite Church. Following this, the remaining members of Stauffer Mennonite Church met in homes until a final service was held in March 2014. The EPMC congregation adopted the name Stauffer Mennonite Church on 14 May 2017.
 +
= Bibliography =
 +
Ness, Steve. "Stauffer Mennonite Church." Personal email (3 June 2017).
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
'''Address''': Meets in member homes in the Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania area  
+
'''Address''': Met in member homes in the Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania area  
  
 
'''Phone''':  
 
'''Phone''':  
Line 12: Line 14:
  
 
[http://www.mennoniteusa.org/ Mennonite Church USA]
 
[http://www.mennoniteusa.org/ Mennonite Church USA]
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 621|date=1959|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
+
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 621|date=June 2017|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last=Runion-Slear|a2_first=Ruth}}
  
 
[[Category:Churches]]
 
[[Category:Churches]]

Latest revision as of 11:34, 8 June 2017

Stauffer Mennonite Church (MC), a member of the Lancaster Conference, is located near Bachmanville in Conewago Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Michael Shenk, Benjamin Longenecker, John Risser, and the Lehmans were in this area in the latter half of the 18th century. The first meetinghouse was built about 1780. This was a part of the Risser congregation in Lancaster County, sharing its ministry. Before the meetinghouse was built Peter Risser preached for them in private dwellings. It early became a part of the present Noah W. Risser- Clarence E. Lutz Bishop District, with John Mumma as the first resident bishop. The present church was built on the same site in 1918. A well-kept cemetery adjoins the churchyard. The membership in 1957 was 163, with J. Frank Zeager as pastor. An outpost at Sand Beach has developed into a permanent Sunday school and mission at East Hanover.

On 11 January 2013 the church building and cemetery were sold to an Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church (EPMC) congregation known as the Bachmanville Mennonite Church. Following this, the remaining members of Stauffer Mennonite Church met in homes until a final service was held in March 2014. The EPMC congregation adopted the name Stauffer Mennonite Church on 14 May 2017.

Bibliography

Ness, Steve. "Stauffer Mennonite Church." Personal email (3 June 2017).

Additional Information

Address: Met in member homes in the Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania area

Phone:

Denominational Affiliations: Lancaster Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Ruth Runion-Slear
Date Published June 2017


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D and Ruth Runion-Slear. "Stauffer Mennonite Church (Conewago Township, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2017. Web. 22 Sep 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stauffer_Mennonite_Church_(Conewago_Township,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=148760.

APA style

Landis, Ira D and Ruth Runion-Slear. (June 2017). Stauffer Mennonite Church (Conewago Township, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 September 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stauffer_Mennonite_Church_(Conewago_Township,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=148760.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 621. All rights reserved.


©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.