South Perkasie (Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA)

From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:50, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (talk | contribs) (CSV import - 20130823)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

South Perkasie, a village adjoining Perkasie, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, formerly also known as Bridgetown (for its covered bridge which was still in use in 1958) and Benjamin. In 1866 a Lutheran, Stephen Young, called a meeting in his home of persons interested in building a church. Mennonites, Lutherans, and Reformed worked together in the efforts to provide a church building for the area. The Mennonites purchased the lot on which the building was to be erected. In the final analysis, however, it was the Lutherans and Reformed who used the building. The Mennonites are not known to have ever held regular services there. The site was about midway between the Rockhill and Blooming Glen Mennonite meetinghouses, and only a few miles from each; so there was no particular need for the Mennonites to use the new house of worship.


Author(s) J. C Wenger
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Wenger, J. C. "South Perkasie (Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Sep 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=South_Perkasie_(Perkasie,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=96489.

APA style

Wenger, J. C. (1959). South Perkasie (Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 September 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=South_Perkasie_(Perkasie,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=96489.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 587-588. All rights reserved.


©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.