Shelby County (Illinois, USA)
Shelby County, Illinois, is located in the southern half of the state, approximately 50 miles southeast of Springfield. In 1872 a small Old Order Amish settlement was established in the county by settlers from Elkhart and Lagrange counties, Indiana, and Holmes County, Ohio. Among them were Jacob Miller, a minister, and Christian Borntreger, later ordained minister. Because of a disagreement among the organizers, most of the settlers moved away in 1883, principally to Reno County, Kansas.
In 1907 John D. Kauffman and his followers established another Amish Mennonite settlement in the county near Shelbyville. Their church, named Mt. Hermon, was built in 1912. The membership had declined to 41 by 1957. Joseph D. Reber was bishop.
Weber, Harry F. Centennial History of the Mennonites of Illinois. Goshen, 1931: 550, 558.
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin. "Shelby County (Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 8 Jul 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Shelby_County_(Illinois,_USA)&oldid=118718.
Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Shelby County (Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 8 July 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Shelby_County_(Illinois,_USA)&oldid=118718.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 512-513. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.