Second Mennonite Church (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA)
Second Mennonite Church of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was established in 1894 when the First Mennonite Church of Philadelphia started a mission on Janney Street. In 1897 a private home at 3007 North Sixth Street was rented for worship services. On 4 April 1899, the present church was dedicated at the corner of Franklin Street and Indiana Avenue and on 5 May 1899, the congregation was officially organized with 36 members and with Silas M. Grubb as pastor. Until 1912 the congregation was supported by the First Mennonite Church. In 1915 the congregation had a membership of 190. The congregation was served by S. M. Grubb from 1899 until 1938, from 1938-41 by Erland Waltner, from 1942-43 by Edwin M. Crawford, from 1943-49 by Walter J. Dick. In 1958 Curtis Lehman was pastor; the membership was 85.
In 1971, in response to the changing neighborhood of Fairhill, the congregation hired its first African American pastor, Carlton Minnis (17 November 1929-26 September 2001), a former Baptist pastor. He was ordained as a Mennonite minister in the Eastern District Conference on 23 April 1972, and served the congregation until 1995. The pastor in 2017 was Darryl Wallace.
The congregation left the Eastern District Conference and became a charter member of the new Alliance of Mennonite Evangelical Congregations (AMEC) in 2002. The division was over matters of faith and doctrine at the time the General Conference Mennonite Church was merging with the Mennonite Church to form Mennonite Church USA.
Bailey, Samaria. "Second Mennonite Church: A soul-saving station where people begin in Christ." The Philadelphia Tribune 24 June 2017. Web. 14 October 2017. http://www.phillytrib.com/religion/second-mennonite-church-a-soul-saving-station-where-people-begin/article_48c1443f-9f24-56e6-ac4a-f6ef60011a59.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share
"Calendar." The Mennonite 87, no. 22 (30 May 1972): 367.
Fiftieth Anniversary of the First Mennonite Church of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, 1915.
50th Anniversary, Second Mennonite Church of Philadelphia, Pa. 1949.
"Ministers." The Mennonite 86, no. 3 (19 January 1971): 43.
"Minnis, Carlton." TheMennonite (23 October 2001): 16.
Address: 2962 North Franklin Street, Philadelphia, PA 19133
Denominational Affiliation: Alliance of Mennonite Evangelical Churches
|Samuel J. Steiner|
|Date Published||October 2017|
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius and Samuel J. Steiner. "Second Mennonite Church (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2017. Web. 20 Sep 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Second_Mennonite_Church_(Philadelphia,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=165829.
Krahn, Cornelius and Samuel J. Steiner. (October 2017). Second Mennonite Church (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 September 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Second_Mennonite_Church_(Philadelphia,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=165829.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 490. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.