Scottdale (Pennsylvania, USA)
Scottdale, situated on the southern boundary between Westmoreland and Fayette counties, Pennsylvania, was incorporated on 7 February 1874. It was laid out on the farms of Jacob S. and Peter S. Loucks, both grandsons of the Mennonite pioneer settler, Peter Loucks, who moved to this vicinity from Berks County, Pennsylvania, in 1800. The population is about 6,500, but with the surrounding community there are about 10,000 inhabitants. It is the home of the Mennonite Publishing House (since 1908) and of its predecessor, the Gospel Witness Company, founded in 1905. The Scottdale Mennonite Church, built in 1893 and rebuilt in 1939, is located in the city. There is another church in Kingview, about a mile east in Fayette County, and a place of worship at North Scottdale in East Huntingdon Township, about a mile to the north. These churches are the successors of two earlier places of worship: at Pennsville, Fayette County, and Stonerville (Alverton), Westmoreland County.
75 Years of Progress, Scottdale, Pennsylvania. 75th Anniversary Booklet. 1949.
|Author(s)||John L Horst|
Cite This Article
Horst, John L. "Scottdale (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 10 Aug 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Scottdale_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=112300.
Horst, John L. (1959). Scottdale (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 August 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Scottdale_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=112300.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 489-490. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.