Schädowitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)

Jump to navigation Jump to search

Schädowitz (Schaidowitz), Moravia, today Žádovice, about 1550 owned by the lord Sigmund von Zastrizil. In 1553 the Hutterites established a Bruderhof here. The Chronik reports the death of a number of preachers at this place, including Paul Glock 1585, Veit Grünberger, and Hans Baldauff 1587. During the Bosckay invasion of 1605-1606, and again during the early years of the Thirty Years’ War the Bruderhof was plundered by hordes of soldiers not fewer than eleven times. When the Hutterites were summarily expelled from Moravia in 1622, this Bruderhof also had to be abandoned.


Zieglschmid, A. J. F. Die älteste Chronik der Hutterischen Brüder: Ein Sprachdenkmal aus frühneuhochdeutscher Zeit. Ithaca: Cayuga Press, 1943.

Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1959

Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Schädowitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 Oct 2021.,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=84820.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1959). Schädowitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 October 2021, from,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=84820.


Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 1119-1120. All rights reserved.

©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.