Salem Hospital (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA)
Salem Hospital at Hillsboro, KS, was built and sponsored by the Krimmer Mennonite Brethren Conference. It was opened in 1918 with a capacity of 18 patient beds. The administration of the hospital for many years was vested in a board of six members and a supervisory nurse; later three additional members were added to the board, one each from the Chamber of Commerce, the First Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church), and the Mennonite Brethren of Hillsboro. During the 1920's the hospital conducted a course in nurses' training, which was later dropped. A resident staff of two and three doctors served the hospital.
In 1951 the Krimmer Mennonite Brethren Conference sold the hospital to the Hillsboro community. A new Salem Hospital corporation was formed by the elected delegates representing 14 evangelical churches of the community and the city chamber of commerce. The hospital was operated by an administrator under a nine-member board. A $260,000 32-bed modern hospital was built in 1955. A new nurses' home was built near the new hospital by the Hillsboro Chamber of Commerce at a cost of $20,000 and then donated to Salem Hospital, Inc. The original hospital together with an annex which was built some years ago were converted into the Salem Home for the Aged, which was operated under a board separate from the hospital board.
|Author(s)||S. L Loewen|
Cite This Article
Loewen, S. L. "Salem Hospital (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Nov 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Hospital_(Hillsboro,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=77339.
Loewen, S. L. (1959). Salem Hospital (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 November 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Hospital_(Hillsboro,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=77339.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 404. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.