Rosthern Junior College (Rosthern, Saskatchewan, Canada)
Rosthern Junior College dates back to 1905. For many years this school was called the German-English Academy. Its purpose was to keep Mennonitism alive; study of the Bible and of German were to help in achieving this aim. The first meeting was held by Elder Peter Regier, but soon Elder David Toews was the leader in this affair. The opening of the school took place on 14 November 1905. There were 24 students that year. Herman Fast ("with a beard") was the first teacher, then David Toews took the leadership of the school, teaching until 1917, when he resigned to give his time to the alternative service program. Cornelius D. Penner taught in this school and served as principal in 1921-23 and 1925-31. Another teacher was Kornelius G. Toews, in whose time, 1938-51, the enrollment of the school went over 150. David Toews (died 1946) was chairman of the school board until 1944. A new school building was erected in 1910. Lack of money hindered the school for many years. In the summer of 1945 a dormitory with three stories and a basement was built for the girls and shortly afterwards one for the boys. The enrollment in 1957 was well over 100; it had eight teachers, nearly all of them with a B.A. standing. The principal was Elmer Richert. In the late 1950s about 70% of the students, boys and girls, lived and boarded at the school. The four grades of high school were taught.
Address: 410 6th Avenue, Rosthern, SK S0K 3R0
|Author(s)||J. G Rempel|
Cite This Article
Rempel, J. G. "Rosthern Junior College (Rosthern, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 3 Oct 2022. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rosthern_Junior_College_(Rosthern,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=84729.
Rempel, J. G. (1959). Rosthern Junior College (Rosthern, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 October 2022, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rosthern_Junior_College_(Rosthern,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=84729.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 362-363. All rights reserved.
©1996-2022 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.