Difference between revisions of "Rosenort (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)"

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m
m
Line 5: Line 5:
 
Rosenort (now Różewo, Poland; coordinates: 54.197821, 19.17841 [54° 11′ 52″ N, 19° 10′ 42″ E]; population in 1905, 229), is located approximately 5 kilometres (3 miles) south-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 13 km. (8 mi.) north-west of Elbląg ([[Elbing (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)|Elbing]]), 20 km (12 mi.) north-east of Malbork ([[Marienburg (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Marienburg]]), and 41 km (25 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk ([[Danzig (Poland)|Danzig]]). It was situated to the west of [[Blumenort (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Blumenort]] and [[Laakendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Lakendorf]], to the north of [[Krebsfelde (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Krebsfelde]], and directly south of Fürstenauerweide (today known as Różewo).
 
Rosenort (now Różewo, Poland; coordinates: 54.197821, 19.17841 [54° 11′ 52″ N, 19° 10′ 42″ E]; population in 1905, 229), is located approximately 5 kilometres (3 miles) south-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 13 km. (8 mi.) north-west of Elbląg ([[Elbing (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)|Elbing]]), 20 km (12 mi.) north-east of Malbork ([[Marienburg (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Marienburg]]), and 41 km (25 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk ([[Danzig (Poland)|Danzig]]). It was situated to the west of [[Blumenort (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Blumenort]] and [[Laakendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Lakendorf]], to the north of [[Krebsfelde (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Krebsfelde]], and directly south of Fürstenauerweide (today known as Różewo).
  
Rosenort originated south and east of the town of [[Tiegenhof (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Tiegenhof]] through the immigration of Dutch Mennonites, to whom the banking firm of Hans Simon and Steffen Loysen in 1562 granted land near Danzig to be made arable. The village was founded at the end of the 16th century. The first Mennonite church was erected in the village; it burned down in 1812. The new church was completed in 1813 (it no longer exists, but the cemetery used by the church is located at 54.192, 19.177 [54° 11′ 32.5″ N, 19° 10′ 38″ E] south of the former village and to the west of what today is Suchowo).  
+
Rosenort originated south and east of the town of [[Tiegenhof (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Tiegenhof]] through the immigration of Dutch Mennonites, to whom the banking firm of Hans Simon and Steffen Loysen in 1562 granted land near Danzig to be made arable. The village was founded at the end of the 16th century. The first Mennonite church was erected in the village; it burned down in 1812. The new church was completed in 1813 (it no longer exists, but the cemetery used by the church is located at 54.192, 19.177 [54° 11′ 32.5″ N, 19° 10′ 38″ E] south of the former village and to the west of what is today Suchowo).  
  
 
Until 1772 Rosenort was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of [[Poland|Poland]]. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called [[West Prussia|West Prussia]], in which Rosenort was located. Rosenort was situated in the district (Kreis) of Elbing until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Rosenort (now Różewo) was a settlement in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Dwór Gdański, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
 
Until 1772 Rosenort was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of [[Poland|Poland]]. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called [[West Prussia|West Prussia]], in which Rosenort was located. Rosenort was situated in the district (Kreis) of Elbing until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Rosenort (now Różewo) was a settlement in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Dwór Gdański, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.

Revision as of 06:42, 14 July 2019

Rosenort (now Suchowo, Poland)
Source: Wikipedia Commons
Detailed map of Rosenort, early 20th century.
Source: Archiwum Map Zachodniej Polski

Rosenort (now Różewo, Poland; coordinates: 54.197821, 19.17841 [54° 11′ 52″ N, 19° 10′ 42″ E]; population in 1905, 229), is located approximately 5 kilometres (3 miles) south-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 13 km. (8 mi.) north-west of Elbląg (Elbing), 20 km (12 mi.) north-east of Malbork (Marienburg), and 41 km (25 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig). It was situated to the west of Blumenort and Lakendorf, to the north of Krebsfelde, and directly south of Fürstenauerweide (today known as Różewo).

Rosenort originated south and east of the town of Tiegenhof through the immigration of Dutch Mennonites, to whom the banking firm of Hans Simon and Steffen Loysen in 1562 granted land near Danzig to be made arable. The village was founded at the end of the 16th century. The first Mennonite church was erected in the village; it burned down in 1812. The new church was completed in 1813 (it no longer exists, but the cemetery used by the church is located at 54.192, 19.177 [54° 11′ 32.5″ N, 19° 10′ 38″ E] south of the former village and to the west of what is today Suchowo).

Until 1772 Rosenort was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Rosenort was located. Rosenort was situated in the district (Kreis) of Elbing until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Rosenort (now Różewo) was a settlement in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Dwór Gdański, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.

The 1776 Prussian census lists 12 Mennonite families in Rosenort with the following surnames: Bestvader, Claasen, Ens, Goetz, Hilbrandt, Jantzen, Martens, Neyfeldt, Penner, Reimer, and Wiens. In 1820 Rosenort had 80 inhabitants, of which 52 were Mennonite.

Mennonites who were residents of Rosenort were members of the Rosenort Mennonite Church.

Bibliography

Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 16 February 2013. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=5558.

Maps

Map:Różewo, Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland


Author(s) Richard D Thiessen
Date Published July 2019


Cite This Article

MLA style

Thiessen, Richard D. "Rosenort (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2019. Web. 14 Nov 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rosenort_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=164330.

APA style

Thiessen, Richard D. (July 2019). Rosenort (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 14 November 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rosenort_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=164330.




©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.