Difference between revisions of "Preussisch Holland (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m (Added hyperlink; added categories.)
m (Text replace - "<em>Mennonitisches Lexikon</em>, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III," to "''Mennonitisches Lexikon'', 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III,")
 
Line 5: Line 5:
 
Preussisch Holland (Polish, <em>Pasłęk</em>), (coordinates: 54.066667, 19.666667 [54° 4′ 0″ N, 19° 40′ 0″ E]; population in 1946, 3,278; 12,179 in 2006), originally called simply Holland, a town formerly in [[East Prussia|East Prussia]] southeast of [[Elbing (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)|Elbing]] (now Elbląg), in which there were a few Mennonites until the col­lapse in 1945, members of the [[Heubuden (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Heubuden]] and [[Thiensdorf and Preußisch Rosengart Mennonite Church (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)|Thiensdorf-Preussisch Rosengart]] congregations. The articles of the founding of the town, dated 29 September 1297, mention that it was named for settlers from Holland. In 1527 a new immigration from the [[Netherlands|Netherlands]] set in, at first east of the city toward [[Bardeyn (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)|Bardeyn]], consisting of [[Sacramentists|Sacramentists]]. Others, including [[Anabaptism|Anabaptists]], under the leadership of Her­mann Sachs, on 1 February 1539, received permission to settle the village of Schönberg (and also Judendorf) north of the town in the district of Preussisch Hol­land (document printed in Schumacher, 176-78). Their names and the occupations of some are given by Schumacher (184). Their deviation from the re­ligion of the duchy, however, soon became apparent; hence they were expelled by the great church inspec­tion of 1542-1543; only a few adjusted themselves to the dominant church in order to be permitted to re­main in the country. (See [[East Prussia|East Prussia]]).
 
Preussisch Holland (Polish, <em>Pasłęk</em>), (coordinates: 54.066667, 19.666667 [54° 4′ 0″ N, 19° 40′ 0″ E]; population in 1946, 3,278; 12,179 in 2006), originally called simply Holland, a town formerly in [[East Prussia|East Prussia]] southeast of [[Elbing (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)|Elbing]] (now Elbląg), in which there were a few Mennonites until the col­lapse in 1945, members of the [[Heubuden (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Heubuden]] and [[Thiensdorf and Preußisch Rosengart Mennonite Church (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)|Thiensdorf-Preussisch Rosengart]] congregations. The articles of the founding of the town, dated 29 September 1297, mention that it was named for settlers from Holland. In 1527 a new immigration from the [[Netherlands|Netherlands]] set in, at first east of the city toward [[Bardeyn (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)|Bardeyn]], consisting of [[Sacramentists|Sacramentists]]. Others, including [[Anabaptism|Anabaptists]], under the leadership of Her­mann Sachs, on 1 February 1539, received permission to settle the village of Schönberg (and also Judendorf) north of the town in the district of Preussisch Hol­land (document printed in Schumacher, 176-78). Their names and the occupations of some are given by Schumacher (184). Their deviation from the re­ligion of the duchy, however, soon became apparent; hence they were expelled by the great church inspec­tion of 1542-1543; only a few adjusted themselves to the dominant church in order to be permitted to re­main in the country. (See [[East Prussia|East Prussia]]).
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. <em>Mennonitisches Lexikon</em>, 4 vols. Frankfurt &amp; Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 397.
+
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. ''Mennonitisches Lexikon'', 4 vols. Frankfurt &amp; Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 397.
  
 
<em>Mennonitisches Adressbuch. </em>Karlsruhe, 1936.
 
<em>Mennonitisches Adressbuch. </em>Karlsruhe, 1936.

Latest revision as of 00:56, 16 January 2017

Pasłęk (formerly Preussisch Holland)
Source: Wikipedia
Preußisch Holland, West Prussia (now Pasłęk, Poland)
Source: Wikipedia Commons

Preussisch Holland (Polish, Pasłęk), (coordinates: 54.066667, 19.666667 [54° 4′ 0″ N, 19° 40′ 0″ E]; population in 1946, 3,278; 12,179 in 2006), originally called simply Holland, a town formerly in East Prussia southeast of Elbing (now Elbląg), in which there were a few Mennonites until the col­lapse in 1945, members of the Heubuden and Thiensdorf-Preussisch Rosengart congregations. The articles of the founding of the town, dated 29 September 1297, mention that it was named for settlers from Holland. In 1527 a new immigration from the Netherlands set in, at first east of the city toward Bardeyn, consisting of Sacramentists. Others, including Anabaptists, under the leadership of Her­mann Sachs, on 1 February 1539, received permission to settle the village of Schönberg (and also Judendorf) north of the town in the district of Preussisch Hol­land (document printed in Schumacher, 176-78). Their names and the occupations of some are given by Schumacher (184). Their deviation from the re­ligion of the duchy, however, soon became apparent; hence they were expelled by the great church inspec­tion of 1542-1543; only a few adjusted themselves to the dominant church in order to be permitted to re­main in the country. (See East Prussia).

Bibliography

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 397.

Mennonitisches Adressbuch. Karlsruhe, 1936.

Schumacher, Bruno. Niederländische Ansiedlungen im Herzogtum Preussen zur Zeit Herzog Albrechts 1525-68. Leipzig, 1903.

Szper, Felicia. Nederlandsche nederzettingen in West-Pruisen gedurende den poolschen tijd. Enkhuizen, 1913.

Unruh, B. H. "Kolonisatorische Berührungen zwischen den Mennoniten und den Siedlern anderer Konfessionen im Weichselgebiet und in der Neumark." Deutsches Archiv für Landes- und Volksforschung IV (1940): 256-60.

Wolfram, Hans Egon. Die Niederlande und der deutsche Osten. Berlin, 1943.

Maps

Map:Pasłęk (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)


Author(s) Ernst Crous
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Crous, Ernst. "Preussisch Holland (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Jul 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Preussisch_Holland_(Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=146062.

APA style

Crous, Ernst. (1959). Preussisch Holland (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 July 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Preussisch_Holland_(Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=146062.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 217. All rights reserved.


©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.