Preußisch Königsdorf (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)
Preußisch Königsdorf (also known as Preussisch Koenigsdorf, Preuschkonigisdorff, Neukonigsdorff, Nowe Konigisdorff, Preußisch Königsdorff, Preußisch, Königsdorf; now known as Oleśno; coordinates: 54.079, 19.287 [54° 4′ 44″ N, 19° 17′ 13″ E]; population in 1905, 353; population in 2013, 200) is located approximately 11.5 kilometers (7 miles) south-west of Elbląg (Elbing), 16 km. (10 miles) north-east of Malbork (Marienburg), and 19 km. (12 miles) south-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof).
Preußisch Königsdorf was established before the Teutonic Order period; it was granted a charter in 1353 by Commander Ortluf von Trier. In 1414, the charter was renewed by Commander Herman Grans and the village received the Chełmno rights (Kulm Law, a legal constitution for a municipal form of government). Originally, the village consisted of two settlements: Preußisch Königsdorf and Neudorf - probably the later hamlet of Drei Höfe.
Until 1772 Preußisch Königsdorf was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which the village was located. Preußisch Königsdorf was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the end of World War I, when it came under the jurisdiction of the German province of East Prussia. At the outbreak of World War II in 1939, Oleśno came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. In 2012 it was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Gronowo Elbląskie, within Elbląg County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship.
The 1776 Prussian census lists seven Mennonite families in Preußisch Königsdorf with the following surnames: Cornelius, Jantzen, Pauls (three families), Penner, and Wieb. In 1820 Preußisch Königsdorf had 267 inhabitants, of which 20 were Mennonite.
Mennonites who were residents of Preußisch Königsdorf were members of the Thiensdorf-Markushof Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Oleśno (PGR Oleśno)." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 10 February 2013. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=406&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Oleśno." Web. 10 February 2013. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleśno.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 10 February 2013. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=5272.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||February 2013|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Preußisch Königsdorf (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 23 Jul 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Preu%C3%9Fisch_K%C3%B6nigsdorf_(Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=84190.
Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2013). Preußisch Königsdorf (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 July 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Preu%C3%9Fisch_K%C3%B6nigsdorf_(Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=84190.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.