Pleasantview Mennonite Church (Brethren, Michigan, USA)
Pleasantview Mennonite Church, near Brethren, Manistee County, Michigan, had its origin in 1903, when William Lantz, the first Mennonite to locate in the area, settled here. Other settlers followed, mostly from the Howard-Miami Amish Mennonite (now MC) congregation near Kokomo, Indiana. E. A. Mast, bishop of the Howard-Miami congregation, organized the Manistee Amish Mennonites into the Pleasantview congregation on 9 September 1904. Included among the first members was Joseph S. Horner (1864-1945), a preacher. The new congregation in Manistee County worshiped in a log cabin until 1906, when a church building was erected in Brown Township. Four years later, in December 1910, Horner moved back to his home congregation, Howard-Miami. At about that point the membership was 48. But soon a decline set in as families moved away. Finally only one family remained. In 1917 the church building was sold to the Church of the Brethren, only to revert later to Mennonite ownership. Two years later, in May 1919, C. C. Culp was placed in the Pleasantview congregation by the district mission board to serve as pastor and mission worker. He served there until his death in 1953. Lester Wyse also served as a minister in the congregation for a number of years until his removal to Ohio. In 1957 the minister was Warren Shaum, with a baptized membership of 30.
Around 1975 minister Richard Near and his family from New Era, Michigan began attending at Pleasantview once or twice a month. In 1976 he asked Victor Miller, the bishop at the Seney Mennonite Church for assistance. In fall 1977 Victor Miller baptized two persons and served communion. They were taken in as members of the Seney congregation.
In 1984 Victor Miller and Philip Miller left the Seney congregation, then part of the Midwest Mennonite Fellowship. At that time the Pleasantview group became an independent congregation, and continued as an unaffiliated Mennonite congregation. In 2003 it became part of the Nationwide Fellowship Churches.
In 2014 the church had 41 members and was a member of the Nationwide Fellowship Churches. The ministerial team included Bishop David A. Miller and Minister Gene D. Stutzman.
Directory of the Northeast Fellowship. Aylmer, Ont.: On Eagles' Wings Publishers, 2017: 149.
Mennonite Church Directory (2014): 109; (2018): 117.
Address: 11025 Kerry Road, Brethren, MI
Ordained Pastors at Pleasantview Mennonite Church
|Victor V. Miller (Bishop)||1984-1997|
|David A. Miller
|Gene D. Stutzman||2006-present|
|Author(s)||John C. Wenger|
|Date Published||November 2018|
Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. and Sam Steiner. "Pleasantview Mennonite Church (Brethren, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2018. Web. 22 May 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pleasantview_Mennonite_Church_(Brethren,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=162465.
Wenger, John C. and Sam Steiner. (November 2018). Pleasantview Mennonite Church (Brethren, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pleasantview_Mennonite_Church_(Brethren,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=162465.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 192. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.