Plainview Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Chickasha, Oklahoma, USA)
The Plainview Church of God in Christ, Mennonite congregation southeast of Verden, Oklahoma, USA was established in 1902. The congregation started when five families and three widows moved to Paul's Valley, Oklahoma, about 60 miles southeast of Verden. They settled on farms about five miles west of Chickasha.
Initially, church services were held in homes and then in the Sandlin District School. During World War I, the congregation's use of the German language in worship caused problems in the community. The group ceased using the schoolhouse and relocated to a temporary location. In 1920 the congregation obtained land on David C. Unruh's farm and completed a church building in 1921. In 1952 the building was enlarged and remodeled; it was dedicated in March 1953. The congregation added a full basement in 1960. A new church building was started in 1974 and completed in 1975.
In about 2009, the church began a daughter congregation that initially met in the Borden Park Community Center in Chickasha. For the first five years, Plainview's ministers served the new Prairie Hills congregation.
The Plainview Mennonite School began in 1978 in a school building located just west of the church.
In 2020 the congregation was part of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. The ministers were Robert G. Schmidt, Kyle Ratzloff, and Johnny Schmidt.
Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Yearbook (1996-2020).
Histories of the congregations. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kansas: Gospel Publishers, 1999: 460-463.
Address: 2296 County Street 2770, Chickasha, Oklahoma 73092
Ordained Pastors at the Plainview Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church
|Samuel A. Nichols (1894-1968)||1920-1926|
|Andrew B. Nightingale (1868-1938)||1922-1938|
|Edward Unruh (1892-1985)||1922-1950s?|
|Peter W. Decker (1885-1972)||1922-1926|
|Eben Nightingale (1910-1968)||1943-1949|
|Abe D. Koehn (1920-1989)||1954-1956|
|Glen Nightingale (1929-2013)||1956-2005|
|Chester L. Koehn||1964-1992|
|Robert G. Schmidt||1981-present|
Membership at the Plainview Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church
Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article
By Edward Unruh. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 184. All rights reserved.
Plainview Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church is located six miles west of Chickasha, Grady County, Oklahoma. The first members, among whom was J. B. P. Schmidt, came here from Pauls Valley in 1902. The church building, erected in 1920 and enlarged in 1952, has a seating capacity of 250. The first pastor was Sam A. Nichols. Ministers ordained here include Andrew Nightingale, P. W. Decker, Edward Unruh, and Eben Nightingale. In 1958 Abe D. Koehn was pastor and the membership was 147.
|Author(s)||Samuel J Steiner|
|Date Published||March 2021|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Samuel J. "Plainview Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Chickasha, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2021. Web. 21 Jun 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Plainview_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_Church_(Chickasha,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=170241.
Steiner, Samuel J. (March 2021). Plainview Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Chickasha, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 June 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Plainview_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_Church_(Chickasha,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=170241.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.