Difference between revisions of "Olivet Mennonite Meetinghouse (Wallenstein, Ontario, Canada)"

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m (Text replace - "<em class="gameo_bibliography">Mennonite Reporter</em>" to "''Mennonite Reporter''")
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[File:Digital-57.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Olivet Mennonite Meetinghouse in 2004 '']]  
+
__TOC__
Services began at the Olivet Mennonite meetinghouse near [[Wallenstein (Ontario, Canada)|Wallenstein]], [[Ontario (Canada)|Ontario]] in 1955, and formally organized in 1956. The first building was occupied in 1955. The congregation originated through division from the Peel and North Woolwich congregations due to increasing number of members and travel distance required.
+
[[File:Digital-57.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Olivet Mennonite Meetinghouse in 2004 '']]  
 +
In late 1954 or early 1955 at meeting was held at the [[North Woolwich Mennonite Meetinghouse (Floradale, Ontario, Canada)|North Woolwich Mennonite Meetinghouse]] to discuss overcrowding on Sunday mornings at services. The Ontario [[Old Order Mennonites]] had not built a new meetinghouse  since they built [[South Peel Mennonite Meetinghouse (Wallenstein, Ontario, Canada)|South Peel]] in 1901.
  
Bishop Edward Bauman served in the 1980s as a non-salaried congregational leader. The bishop in 2002 was Ian M. Shantz. The congregation has been affiliated with the [[Old Order Mennonites|Old Order Mennonites]] since 1955. The language of worship is German.
+
A five-person committee composed of Isaiah Bauman, Henry Metzger, Ephraim Martin, Josiah G. Martin and Israel Gingrich investigated further and selected the current location that had previously been the location of a 19th century Olivet Wesleyan Methodist Church that was destroyed by a cyclone in 1922. The Old Order Mennonites retained that name for the new meetinghouse.
 +
 
 +
The first service in the new meetinghouse was held 26 July 1955 when 17 youth were baptized.
 +
 
 +
In 1981 the congregation constructed a 16-foot addition added to the men's side, enlarging the women's cloakroom. In 2017 71 families were primarily affiliated with Olivet.
  
The meetinghouse is located near Wallenstein, Ontario at 7557 4th Line, 1 1/2 km (3/4 mi) east of Peel Township Road 12.
 
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
''Mennonite Reporter'' (3 April 1989): 14.
 
''Mennonite Reporter'' (3 April 1989): 14.
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=|date=April 1986|a1_last=Epp|a1_first=Marlene|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
+
 
 +
Weber, Urias. ''New beginnings: a history of the Old Order Mennonites of Ontario''. Wallenstein, Ont.: Vineyard Publications, 2018: 76-78.
 +
 
 +
= Additional Information =
 +
 
 +
'''Address''': 7557 4th Line, Wallenstein, Ontario N0B 2S0
 +
 
 +
'''Denominational Affiliations''':
 +
Old Order Mennonite Church of Ontario
 +
 
 +
== Ordained Leaders at the Olivet Mennonite Meetinghouse ==
 +
{| class="wikitable"
 +
|-
 +
! Name !! Years<br/>of Service
 +
|-
 +
| Edward M. Bauman (1920-2002)<br />(Bishop)|| 1956-1961<br />1961-2002
 +
|-
 +
| Levi B. Bowman (1903-1989, Deacon) || 1957-1989
 +
|-
 +
| Eli G. Martin (1936- )|| 1964-
 +
|-
 +
| Henry B. Bauman (1934- , Deacon) || 1980-
 +
|-
 +
| Leonard F. Martin (1953- , Deacon) || 2000-
 +
|-
 +
| Ammon M. Bauman (1954- ) || 2000-
 +
|}
 +
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=|date=October 2019|a1_last=Steiner|a1_first=Samuel J|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
  
 
[[Category:Churches]]
 
[[Category:Churches]]

Latest revision as of 15:42, 11 October 2019

Olivet Mennonite Meetinghouse in 2004

In late 1954 or early 1955 at meeting was held at the North Woolwich Mennonite Meetinghouse to discuss overcrowding on Sunday mornings at services. The Ontario Old Order Mennonites had not built a new meetinghouse since they built South Peel in 1901.

A five-person committee composed of Isaiah Bauman, Henry Metzger, Ephraim Martin, Josiah G. Martin and Israel Gingrich investigated further and selected the current location that had previously been the location of a 19th century Olivet Wesleyan Methodist Church that was destroyed by a cyclone in 1922. The Old Order Mennonites retained that name for the new meetinghouse.

The first service in the new meetinghouse was held 26 July 1955 when 17 youth were baptized.

In 1981 the congregation constructed a 16-foot addition added to the men's side, enlarging the women's cloakroom. In 2017 71 families were primarily affiliated with Olivet.

Bibliography

Mennonite Reporter (3 April 1989): 14.

Weber, Urias. New beginnings: a history of the Old Order Mennonites of Ontario. Wallenstein, Ont.: Vineyard Publications, 2018: 76-78.

Additional Information

Address: 7557 4th Line, Wallenstein, Ontario N0B 2S0

Denominational Affiliations: Old Order Mennonite Church of Ontario

Ordained Leaders at the Olivet Mennonite Meetinghouse

Name Years
of Service
Edward M. Bauman (1920-2002)
(Bishop)
1956-1961
1961-2002
Levi B. Bowman (1903-1989, Deacon) 1957-1989
Eli G. Martin (1936- ) 1964-
Henry B. Bauman (1934- , Deacon) 1980-
Leonard F. Martin (1953- , Deacon) 2000-
Ammon M. Bauman (1954- ) 2000-


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published October 2019


Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Olivet Mennonite Meetinghouse (Wallenstein, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2019. Web. 19 Oct 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Olivet_Mennonite_Meetinghouse_(Wallenstein,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=164748.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (October 2019). Olivet Mennonite Meetinghouse (Wallenstein, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 October 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Olivet_Mennonite_Meetinghouse_(Wallenstein,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=164748.




©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.