Ohra (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Ohra (also known as Orania and Ohra-Sankt Albrecht-Guteherberge; now known as Orunia and Orunia-Św. Wojciech-Lipce; coordinates: 54.3205, 18.6384 [54° 19′ 13″ N, 18° 38′ 18″ E]; population in 1905, 10,687; in 2013, 20,317) is one of the quarters of the city of Gdańsk (formerly Danzig), Poland.
Until 1793 the village was part of Danzig in Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The Second Partition of Poland in 1793 added Danzig and its surrounding territory to the province of West Prussia. The village was situated in the district (Kreis) of Danzig from 1818 until 1887, when it became part of the district of Danziger Niederung. Ohra grew rapidly in the later half of the 19th century. In 1880 Ohra had 5,513, inhabitants, and by 1905 the population had grown to 10,687. Ohra became part of the Free City of Danzig from 1920 until the outbreak of World War II in 1939, when it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland.
In 1820 Ohra had 1,239 inhabitants, including 22 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Ohra were members of the Danzig Mennonite Church.
Wikipedia. "Orunia-Św. Wojciech-Lipce." Web. 27 January 2013. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orunia-Św._Wojciech-Lipce.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 27 January 2013. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=4854.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||January 2013|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Ohra (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 2013. Web. 12 Dec 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ohra_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=164856.
Thiessen, Richard D. (January 2013). Ohra (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 12 December 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ohra_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=164856.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.