Mountain View Gospel Chapel (Mission, British Columbia, Canada)
The Matsqui Mennonite Brethren Church began to sponsor Summer Bible School in the McConnell Creek area in 1943 and in 1946 Cornelius Klassen, who is considered the founding leader of this group, started Sunday School there. Services at the McConnell Creek Mission began in 1949. However the first full-time worker was Nick Dyck who was placed there by the West Coast Children’s Mission in 1956 and served as pastor until 1962. At that time 120 children attended.
Herb Neufeld took over in 1962 and remained as pastor until 1968. In 1963 a new church building was built close to the main highway and the church became known as the Mountain View Gospel Chapel. This church was a member of the British Columbia Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches from 1963 to 1981. Other leaders were Hartley Smith (1968-1973) and Victor Stobbe (1973-1981). In 1981 the congregation split into two groups: Mission Christian Fellowship and New Covenant Church.
Penner, Peter. No Longer at Arms Length: Mennonite Brethren Church Planting in Canada. Winnipeg: Kindred Press, 1987. Available in full electronic text at: https://archive.org/stream/NoLongerAtArmsLengthMBChurchPlantingInCanadaOCRopt?ref=ol#mode/2up.
Mountain View Gospel Chapel Leading Ministers
|Date Published||June 2008|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Hugo Friesen. "Mountain View Gospel Chapel (Mission, British Columbia, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2008. Web. 17 Oct 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mountain_View_Gospel_Chapel_(Mission,_British_Columbia,_Canada)&oldid=163569.
Epp, Marlene and Hugo Friesen. (June 2008). Mountain View Gospel Chapel (Mission, British Columbia, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 October 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mountain_View_Gospel_Chapel_(Mission,_British_Columbia,_Canada)&oldid=163569.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.