Montauerweide (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Montauerweide (also known as Pastwisko Montki, Pastwisko Przy Montowach, Montowskie Pastwisko, Muntauerweyde, and Montauer Weide; now known as Mątowskie Pastwiska; coordinates: 53.84743, 18.93683 [53° 50′ 50″ N, 18° 56′ 53″ E]; population in 1905, 254; in 2013, 200) is located 12.8 kilometres (km) (7.9 miles) north of Kwidzyn (Marienwerder), 22.0 km (13.7 miles) south south-west of Malbork (Marienburg), 28.6 km (17.8 miles) east south-east of Starogard Gdański (Preußisch Stargard), 29.5 km (18.3 miles) south south-east of Tczew (Dirschau), and approximately 61 km (38 miles) south of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
In the 17th century, the pastures situated in the area of what eventually became Mountauerweide were leased to Dutch settlers from Groß Montau. At the end of the 18th century, the starost of Sztum, Tekla Bielińska, leased the area to Mennonites under the Emphyteusis Law (the right to the enjoyment of property with a given stipulation that the property will be improved or maintained in an agreed upon manner).
Until 1772 Montauerweide was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province on 31 January 1773, called West Prussia, in which the village was located. Montauerweide was situated in the district (Kreis) of Stuhm in Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder until the end of World War I, when it came under the jurisdiction of East Prussia. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until March 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2014 Mountauerweide (now Mątowskie Pastwiska) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Ryjewo, within Kwidzyn County, Pomeranian Voivodeship, in northern Poland.
In the 1776 Prussian census, there were 34 Mennonite families listed as residing in Montauerweide with the following surnames: Baltzer, Bartel, Casper, Claassen, Cornelius, Ediger, Ewert, Fodt, Frantz, Haltrechter, Harms, Jantzen, Nickel, Pauls, Penner, Plenert, Purau, Ross, Schmidt, Siebert, Stobbe, Unrau, and Willms. The 1935 Tragheimerweide Mennonite Church membership list states that the following families lived in Montauerweide: Dirks, Dyck, Erasmus, Ewert, Foth, Franzen, Janzen, Reimer, and Unrau.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Mątowskie Pastwiska." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=520&lang=en.
Szper, Felicia. Nederlandsche nederzettingen in West-Pruisen gedurende den poolschen tijd. Enkhuizen : P. Bais, 1913: 122 f.
Wiebe, Herbert. Das Siedlungswerk niederländischer Mennoniten im Weichseltal zwischen Fordon und Weissenberg bis zum Ausgang des 18. Jahrhunderts. Marburg a.d. Lahn : Johann Gottfried Herder-Institut, 1952: 40, 84 f.
Wikipedia. "Mątowskie Pastwiska." Web. 30 September 2012. Pastwiska http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mątowskie Pastwiska.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 29 September 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=4338.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||September 2014|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der and Richard D. Thiessen. "Montauerweide (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2014. Web. 17 Feb 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Montauerweide_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=162171.
Zijpp, Nanne van der and Richard D. Thiessen. (September 2014). Montauerweide (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 February 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Montauerweide_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=162171.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 744. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.