Difference between revisions of "Millwood Mennonite Church (Gap, Pennsylvania, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m (Text replace - "<em>Mennonitisches Lexikon</em>, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III," to "''Mennonitisches Lexikon'', 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III,")
(added text and tables)
Line 2: Line 2:
 
__TOC__
 
__TOC__
 
[[File:AMC_X-31-1_18_25.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Millwood Mennonite Church, 1953. Scan courtesy [http://www.mennoniteusa.org/executive-board/archives/ Mennonite Church USA Archives-Goshen] X-31.1, Box 18/25'']]     
 
[[File:AMC_X-31-1_18_25.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Millwood Mennonite Church, 1953. Scan courtesy [http://www.mennoniteusa.org/executive-board/archives/ Mennonite Church USA Archives-Goshen] X-31.1, Box 18/25'']]     
Millwood Mennonite Church ([[Biblical Mennonite Alliance]]), located two miles (3 km) northeast of Gap, [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], since 1945 a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Mennonite Conference]], was formed in 1877 with 22 families consisting of 124 members from the [[Old Order Amish|Old Order Amish]] community in this district, under the leadership of Gideon Stoltzfus, who had been ordained a minister in 1868 by the Old Order Amish, and was ordained bishop in 1888, serving in this office until his death in 1913.
+
Millwood Mennonite Church ([[Biblical Mennonite Alliance]]), located two miles (3 km) northeast of Gap, [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]] was formed in 1877 with 22 families consisting of 124 members from the [[Old Order Amish]] community in this district, under the leadership of Gideon Stoltzfus, who had been ordained a minister in 1868 by the Old Order Amish, and was ordained bishop in 1888, serving in this office until his death in 1913.
 +
 
 +
The congregation was part of the [[Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference]], and after the merger with the [[Ohio Mennonite Conference]], was part of the [[Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference (MC)|Ohio Mennonite and Eastern Amish Mennonite Joint Conference]]. This continued until the 1945 split mentioned below.
  
 
The congregation met in members' homes every two weeks until 1882, when the first meetinghouse was built (frame 36 x 50 ft.), which served the congregation until 1937, when a brick structure was erected. John A. Kennel, ordained bishop in 1926, assisted by LeRoy S. Stoltzfus, ordained bishop in 1949, were serving as bishops in 1955. Ministers and deacons that have formerly served were Samuel Lantz, John M. Stoltzfus, Daniel Stoltzfus, Amos B. Stoltzfus, M. S. Stoltzfus, Frank Stoltzfus, George B. Stoltzfus, John P. Kennel, Aaron Mast, and Isaac G. Kennel. After 1929 the congregation established the following mission outposts which together with the home congregation constituted the Millwood district membership of 431 in 1954: [[Coatesville Mennonite Church (Coatesville, Pennsylvania, USA)|Coatesville]] (1929), Parkesburg (1938), Homeville (1945), [[Newlinville Mennonite Church (Coatesville, Pennsylvania, USA)|Newlinville]] (1949), and Kennett Square (1951). In 1954 the Millwood congregation proper had 222 members, with Reuben G. Stoltzfus as preacher in addition to the two bishops.
 
The congregation met in members' homes every two weeks until 1882, when the first meetinghouse was built (frame 36 x 50 ft.), which served the congregation until 1937, when a brick structure was erected. John A. Kennel, ordained bishop in 1926, assisted by LeRoy S. Stoltzfus, ordained bishop in 1949, were serving as bishops in 1955. Ministers and deacons that have formerly served were Samuel Lantz, John M. Stoltzfus, Daniel Stoltzfus, Amos B. Stoltzfus, M. S. Stoltzfus, Frank Stoltzfus, George B. Stoltzfus, John P. Kennel, Aaron Mast, and Isaac G. Kennel. After 1929 the congregation established the following mission outposts which together with the home congregation constituted the Millwood district membership of 431 in 1954: [[Coatesville Mennonite Church (Coatesville, Pennsylvania, USA)|Coatesville]] (1929), Parkesburg (1938), Homeville (1945), [[Newlinville Mennonite Church (Coatesville, Pennsylvania, USA)|Newlinville]] (1949), and Kennett Square (1951). In 1954 the Millwood congregation proper had 222 members, with Reuben G. Stoltzfus as preacher in addition to the two bishops.
  
In 1909 the Millwood congregation built a second meetinghouse, known as [[Maple Grove Mennonite Church of Atglen (Atglen, Pennsylvania, USA)|Maple Grove]], but continued to function as one congregation. In 1945 a division occurred, the more conservative one-third minority withdrawing under Bishop John Kennel's leadership to join the Lancaster Conference (the only congregation of Amish background in the conference) and taking the Millwood meetinghouse. The more progressive two-thirds majority (1954 membership 458) continued the congregation's membership in the [[Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference (MC)|Ohio and Eastern A.M. Conference]], taking Maple Grove meetinghouse.
+
In 1909 the Millwood congregation built a second meetinghouse, known as [[Maple Grove Mennonite Church of Atglen (Atglen, Pennsylvania, USA)|Maple Grove]], but continued to function as one congregation. In 1945 a division occurred, the more conservative one-third minority withdrawing under Bishop John Kennel's leadership to join the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference]] (the only congregation of Amish background in the conference) and taking the Millwood meetinghouse. The more progressive two-thirds majority (1954 membership 458) continued the congregation's membership in the [[Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference (MC)|Ohio and Eastern A.M. Conference]], taking Maple Grove meetinghouse.
  
On 25 February 2012 the church joined the Biblical Mennonite Alliance.  
+
The Millwood Mennonite Church experienced a decline in membership from about 1968 to 1995. The ministry had different opinions regarding the best way to express faith in everyday living. Following the adoption of the 1968 ''Statement of Doctrine and Discipline'' of [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference]], two Millwood pastors and a number of members transferred to a more conservative congregation, which was part of the [[Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church]]. The use of television was one of the concerns for the more conservative members. Prior to 1968 the Lancaster Conference Discipline clearly prohibited members from having television. The new ''Discipline'' did not make television ownership a test of membership.  
  
In 2015 the leading minister was Keith Beiler and the associate pastors were Elvin Ressler and Luke Sensenig. The congregational membership was 105 and the average weekly attendance was 100.
+
The congregation that remained continued to be theologically conservative. On 25 February 2012 the church left the Lancaster Mennonite Conference and joined the [[Biblical Mennonite Alliance]].
 +
 
 +
In 2019 the leading minister was Keith Beiler and the associate pastors were Elvin Ressler and Luke Sensenig. The congregational membership was 105 and the average weekly attendance was 100.
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
Biblical Mennonite Alliance. "BMA Congregational Directory with Pastors." August 2015.
 
Biblical Mennonite Alliance. "BMA Congregational Directory with Pastors." August 2015.
Line 17: Line 21:
  
 
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. ''Mennonitisches Lexikon'', 4 vols. Frankfurt &amp; Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 138.
 
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. ''Mennonitisches Lexikon'', 4 vols. Frankfurt &amp; Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 138.
 +
 +
Hershey, Noah L. "The Millwood Community and its Mennonite Congregation." ''Pennsylvania Mennonite Heritage'' 26, no. 1 (January 2003)ː 2-8.
  
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
Line 26: Line 32:
  
 
[http://www.biblicalmennonite.com/ Biblical Mennonite Alliance]
 
[http://www.biblicalmennonite.com/ Biblical Mennonite Alliance]
 +
== Ordained Pastors at Millwood Mennonite Church ==
 +
{| class="wikitable"
 +
|-
 +
! Name !! Years<br/>of Service
 +
|-
 +
| Gideon Stoltzfus (1835-1913)(Minister) <br ?>(Bishop)|| 1877-1888<br ?>1888-1913
 +
|-
 +
| Samuel Lantz || 1888-?
 +
|-
 +
| John M. Stoltzfus (1862-1945) || 1889-1945
 +
|-
 +
| Daniel M. Stoltzfus (1850-1941)|| 1884-1919
 +
|-
 +
| Amos B. Stoltzfus || 1913-?
 +
|-
 +
| John A. Kennel (Minister)<br /> (Bishop) || 1917-1926<br />1926-1963
 +
|-
 +
| Menno Simons "M. S." Stoltzfus (1899-1982) || 1933-1953
 +
|-
 +
| Leroy S. Stoltzfus (1911-1979)(Minister)<br />(Bishop)|| 1941-1949<br />1949-1965
 +
|-
 +
| Reuben G. Stoltzfus (1910-1994) || 1944-1980
 +
|-
 +
| Roy Ulrich (1909-1992) || 1944-1968
 +
|-
 +
| Elmer D. Leaman (1912-1972) (Bishop)|| 1967-1972
 +
|-
 +
| Mahlon Glick (1915-1994) || 1970-1994
 +
|-
 +
| Noah L. Hershey (1920-2010)(Bishop) || 1973-1991
 +
|-
 +
| Frank L. Menkin (1941- || 1980-1983
 +
|-
 +
| Elvin Ranck || 1984-1989?
 +
|-
 +
| Robert M. Stoltzfus || 1986-1992
 +
|-
 +
| Wilbert Lind (Interim) || 1993-1996
 +
|-
 +
| Calvin Beiler (1938-2002) || 1995-2002
 +
|-
 +
| Menno B. Fisher || 1996-1998, 2002-2007?
 +
|-
 +
| Keith L. Beiler || 2003-present
 +
|-
 +
| Luke Sensenig|| 2008-present
 +
|-
 +
| Elvin Ressler || 2010s-present
 +
|}
 +
== Membership at Millwood Mennonite Church ==
 +
{| class="wikitable" style="text-align: right;"
 +
|-
 +
! Year !! Membership
 +
|-
 +
| 1877 || 124
 +
|-
 +
| 1915 || 254*
 +
|-
 +
| 1919 || 273*
 +
|-
 +
| 1925 || 326*
 +
|-
 +
| 1930 || 394*
 +
|-
 +
| 1935 || 470*
 +
|-
 +
| 1940 || 551*
 +
|-
 +
| 1945 || 604*
 +
|-
 +
| 1950 || 207
 +
|-
 +
| 1955 || 222
 +
|-
 +
| 1960 || 246
 +
|-
 +
| 1965 || 190
 +
|-
 +
| 1970 || 146
 +
|-
 +
| 1975 || 140
 +
|-
 +
| 1980 || 97
 +
|-
 +
| 1985 || 86
 +
|-
 +
| 1990 || 64
 +
|-
 +
| 1995 || 64
 +
|-
 +
| 2000 || 62
 +
|-
 +
| 2005 || 62
 +
|-
 +
| 2015 || 75
 +
|}
 +
* Includes daughter congregations, including Maple Grove
 
= Map =
 
= Map =
 
[[Map:Millwood Mennonite Church (Gap, Pennsylvania, USA)]]
 
[[Map:Millwood Mennonite Church (Gap, Pennsylvania, USA)]]
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 694|date=May 2012|a1_last=Stoltzfus|a1_first=LeRoy S.|a2_last=Thiessen|a2_first=Richard D.}}
+
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 694|date=June 2019|a1_last=Stoltzfus|a1_first=LeRoy S.|a2_last=Steiner|a2_first=Sam}}
  
 
[[Category:Churches]]
 
[[Category:Churches]]
 
[[Category:Mennonite Church (MC) Congregations]]
 
[[Category:Mennonite Church (MC) Congregations]]
 
[[Category:Mennonite Church USA Congregations]]
 
[[Category:Mennonite Church USA Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Ohio and Eastern Conference Congregations]]
 
[[Category:Lancaster Mennonite Conference Congregations]]
 
[[Category:Lancaster Mennonite Conference Congregations]]
 
[[Category:Biblical Mennonite Alliance Congregations]]
 
[[Category:Biblical Mennonite Alliance Congregations]]
 
[[Category:Pennsylvania Congregations]]
 
[[Category:Pennsylvania Congregations]]
 
[[Category:United States Congregations]]
 
[[Category:United States Congregations]]

Revision as of 19:23, 12 June 2019

Millwood Mennonite Church, 1953. Scan courtesy Mennonite Church USA Archives-Goshen X-31.1, Box 18/25

Millwood Mennonite Church (Biblical Mennonite Alliance), located two miles (3 km) northeast of Gap, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania was formed in 1877 with 22 families consisting of 124 members from the Old Order Amish community in this district, under the leadership of Gideon Stoltzfus, who had been ordained a minister in 1868 by the Old Order Amish, and was ordained bishop in 1888, serving in this office until his death in 1913.

The congregation was part of the Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference, and after the merger with the Ohio Mennonite Conference, was part of the Ohio Mennonite and Eastern Amish Mennonite Joint Conference. This continued until the 1945 split mentioned below.

The congregation met in members' homes every two weeks until 1882, when the first meetinghouse was built (frame 36 x 50 ft.), which served the congregation until 1937, when a brick structure was erected. John A. Kennel, ordained bishop in 1926, assisted by LeRoy S. Stoltzfus, ordained bishop in 1949, were serving as bishops in 1955. Ministers and deacons that have formerly served were Samuel Lantz, John M. Stoltzfus, Daniel Stoltzfus, Amos B. Stoltzfus, M. S. Stoltzfus, Frank Stoltzfus, George B. Stoltzfus, John P. Kennel, Aaron Mast, and Isaac G. Kennel. After 1929 the congregation established the following mission outposts which together with the home congregation constituted the Millwood district membership of 431 in 1954: Coatesville (1929), Parkesburg (1938), Homeville (1945), Newlinville (1949), and Kennett Square (1951). In 1954 the Millwood congregation proper had 222 members, with Reuben G. Stoltzfus as preacher in addition to the two bishops.

In 1909 the Millwood congregation built a second meetinghouse, known as Maple Grove, but continued to function as one congregation. In 1945 a division occurred, the more conservative one-third minority withdrawing under Bishop John Kennel's leadership to join the Lancaster Mennonite Conference (the only congregation of Amish background in the conference) and taking the Millwood meetinghouse. The more progressive two-thirds majority (1954 membership 458) continued the congregation's membership in the Ohio and Eastern A.M. Conference, taking Maple Grove meetinghouse.

The Millwood Mennonite Church experienced a decline in membership from about 1968 to 1995. The ministry had different opinions regarding the best way to express faith in everyday living. Following the adoption of the 1968 Statement of Doctrine and Discipline of Lancaster Mennonite Conference, two Millwood pastors and a number of members transferred to a more conservative congregation, which was part of the Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church. The use of television was one of the concerns for the more conservative members. Prior to 1968 the Lancaster Conference Discipline clearly prohibited members from having television. The new Discipline did not make television ownership a test of membership.

The congregation that remained continued to be theologically conservative. On 25 February 2012 the church left the Lancaster Mennonite Conference and joined the Biblical Mennonite Alliance.

In 2019 the leading minister was Keith Beiler and the associate pastors were Elvin Ressler and Luke Sensenig. The congregational membership was 105 and the average weekly attendance was 100.

Bibliography

Biblical Mennonite Alliance. "BMA Congregational Directory with Pastors." August 2015.

Biblical Mennonite Alliance. "BMA Directory 2012." Web. 15 May 2012. http://www.biblicalmennonite.com/.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 138.

Hershey, Noah L. "The Millwood Community and its Mennonite Congregation." Pennsylvania Mennonite Heritage 26, no. 1 (January 2003)ː 2-8.

Additional Information

Address: 441 Amish Road, Gap, PA  17527

Phone: 717-442-6347

Denominational Affiliation:

Biblical Mennonite Alliance

Ordained Pastors at Millwood Mennonite Church

Name Years
of Service
Gideon Stoltzfus (1835-1913)(Minister)
(Bishop)
1877-1888
1888-1913
Samuel Lantz 1888-?
John M. Stoltzfus (1862-1945) 1889-1945
Daniel M. Stoltzfus (1850-1941) 1884-1919
Amos B. Stoltzfus 1913-?
John A. Kennel (Minister)
(Bishop)
1917-1926
1926-1963
Menno Simons "M. S." Stoltzfus (1899-1982) 1933-1953
Leroy S. Stoltzfus (1911-1979)(Minister)
(Bishop)
1941-1949
1949-1965
Reuben G. Stoltzfus (1910-1994) 1944-1980
Roy Ulrich (1909-1992) 1944-1968
Elmer D. Leaman (1912-1972) (Bishop) 1967-1972
Mahlon Glick (1915-1994) 1970-1994
Noah L. Hershey (1920-2010)(Bishop) 1973-1991
Frank L. Menkin (1941- 1980-1983
Elvin Ranck 1984-1989?
Robert M. Stoltzfus 1986-1992
Wilbert Lind (Interim) 1993-1996
Calvin Beiler (1938-2002) 1995-2002
Menno B. Fisher 1996-1998, 2002-2007?
Keith L. Beiler 2003-present
Luke Sensenig 2008-present
Elvin Ressler 2010s-present

Membership at Millwood Mennonite Church

Year Membership
1877 124
1915 254*
1919 273*
1925 326*
1930 394*
1935 470*
1940 551*
1945 604*
1950 207
1955 222
1960 246
1965 190
1970 146
1975 140
1980 97
1985 86
1990 64
1995 64
2000 62
2005 62
2015 75
  • Includes daughter congregations, including Maple Grove

Map

Map:Millwood Mennonite Church (Gap, Pennsylvania, USA)


Author(s) LeRoy S. Stoltzfus
Sam Steiner
Date Published June 2019


Cite This Article

MLA style

Stoltzfus, LeRoy S. and Sam Steiner. "Millwood Mennonite Church (Gap, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2019. Web. 17 Jul 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Millwood_Mennonite_Church_(Gap,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=164189.

APA style

Stoltzfus, LeRoy S. and Sam Steiner. (June 2019). Millwood Mennonite Church (Gap, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 July 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Millwood_Mennonite_Church_(Gap,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=164189.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 694. All rights reserved.


©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.